Minutes of the Annual Shipton Bellinger Parish Meeting held on Monday 13th May 2013 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mr D Davies - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs S Turner

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr M Bladen

Cllr Mr P Stinton

Cllr Mr D Davies

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook

County Councillor Mrs P West

Mr D Sperry - Village Centre Chairman

Member of the Public - 8

Apologies : Cllr Mr M Udale and Cllr Mr S Bluff.

Absent Cllr E Charnley


The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and introduced the Parish Councillors and the Clerk.


The Clerk reported that Test Valley Borough Council have confirmed that vacancies can be filled by co-option. Mr Paul Stinton had expressed an interest in joining the Parish Council at the April meeting. All the Parish Councillors agreed that he should be co-opted to fill one of the vacancies. Mr Paul Stinton signed the Declaration of Office and was co-opted onto the Parish Council. The Chairman welcomed Cllr Mr Paul Stinton on to the Parish Council.


CHAIRMAN - Cllr Mrs S Turner proposed Cllr Miss A Reynolds as Chairman, this was seconded by Cllr Mr D Davies. There were no other nominations. All agreed. Cllr Miss A Reynolds was elected Chairman.

VICE CHAIRMAN - Cllr Mrs S Turner proposed Cllr Mr D Davies as Vice Chairman, this was seconded by Cllr Mr T Bowden. There were no other nominations. All agreed. Cllr Mr D Davies was elected Vice Chairman.


Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in Planning Application


13/00887/FULLN - Single storey rear extension to form extended kitchen and wc - 2 Manor

Farm Cottages, Snoddington Lane, Shipton Bellinger.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTIONS to this planning application.


I would like to start by thanking everyone for their support over the past year and in particular Richard, our Parish Clerk.


The biggest achievement of the year has to be the upgrade to Footpath 5. By the number of people I see using the path I can only assume it has been a success. It is now wide enough to take wheelchairs and buggies and can be used a safe route to school. The biggest improvement of course it is no longer wet and muddy! The project has been funded in the main by The Sita Trust and Hampshire County Council for which we are very grateful.

To commemorate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee two benches were purchased. These, as I’m sure you aware, have been sited looking out on to the sports field and I have noticed are being well used. Commemoration plaques have been ordered and will be attached on arrival.

You cannot have failed to notice that the solar farms have been completed and finally the traffic lights removed. I don’t think I will be the only one who felt, despite the reasons for their installation, they have been an inconvenience due to the way there were set up!

The Parish Council have had to engage the services of a tree surgeon for some tree work over the year. Last December the large willow tree, on the grass area next to Red Villas, had to be removed due to large sections of dead or decaying wood. The next project was to tackle the dead and decaying trees along footpaths 5 and 6 bordering the school playing field. It was also decided to have some conifers trimmed back to allow more light onto the section of footpath 5 which runs from Manor Close to the junction with footpath 13. This wasn’t part of the upgrade as the surface just needed scraping back but more light would allow it to dry out after wet periods of weather.

Lastly I can finally report that the speed reductions on the A338 have been approved and should be completed during this financial year.


The Clerk produced the end of year accounts for the period 1st April 2012 to 31st March 2013 and explained each item. The Clerk answered questions on the footpaths expenditure and litter collecting. The Accounts are now ready for the Internal Auditor to check and report before being sent to District Audit. The Parish Council agreed with the accounts produced.


The Chairman stated that Cllr Mr S Bluff is the Village Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator and sends out regular reports to update the village. Cllr Mr P Lashbrook reported that the interviews have been conducted for the new Police Constable and he hoped that PC Roger Kitsons replacement will be announced soon.


Cllr Mrs P West reported she had just completed her first day back at Hampshire County Council after the recent County elections and hoped that things would soon get back to normal once portfolios have been assigned. Cllr Mrs P West stated that she has enjoyed her relationship with Shipton Bellinger and looked forward to it continuing after being re-elected.


Cllr Mr P Lashbrook congratulated the Parish Council on another years hard work. The revised local plan is due for its second consultation in October 2013. Test Valley Borough Council hope to adopt the Revised Plan by October 2014.

The wet weather earlier in the year put the village on flood alert on several occasions and caused other localised flooding problems in Gardeners Green. Thanks to the procedures put in place, Shipton Bellinger Parish Council, TVBC, Environment Agency and the Village Flood Warden averted disaster and kept everyone informed. The Penton Bellinger Ward is 2nd highest area at risk of flooding for the region.

Work is being undertaken with the Environment Agency, TVBC and the Village Flood Warden to produce a Personal Flood Defence Plan tailored to individual properties. More information will be available over the following months and householders will be contacted.

Cllr Mrs P West reported that HCC will also be involved and will have links to various agencies dealing with the frail and vulnerable

Cllr Mr P Lashbrook reported that work with Southern Water on the sewers is ongoing, the problem with inappropriate items being flushed down the toilet. The Chairman stated that she has done a statement for the Village News on this issue.

Cllr Mr P Lashbrook reported that Thruxton Race Circuit is under new management and is a world class facility. There has been a lot of work done to ensure that the facilities are the best they can be. The circuit is also a large employer in the area.


The chairman asked if there were any questions the Public would like to ask the Parish Council?

Questions and points raised included :-

Parking on Bulford Road - A lengthy discussion took place. It was agreed that Mr R Estlick would email Cllr Mr P Lashbrook with details of the problem and the persistent offenders. Cllr Mr Lashbrook stated that this is a Police matter. The Clerk was asked to put Bulford Road parking on the Agenda for the next Parish Council Meeting.

Proposals for upgrading the byway to Tidworth - Mr A Telfer though that this would be a waste of money - a lengthy discussion took place.

Proposed new footpath along side the A338 - Also discussed in detail - County Councillor Mrs P West stated that she had access to an additional £8,000 for Environment projects on top of her devolved budget and may be able to help with this project.

Other items raised included a pavement continuing from the Notice Board to the top of Bulford Road, parking on the grass verge outside the Village Centre and parking on the grass area at the top of Bulford Road.

The Parish Council made comment on these issues and they will be followed up at future Parish Council meetings.


The Clerk reported that he has ordered the plaques for the benches and an additional litter bin to be sited adjacent to the new benches. It was suggested that the benches are officially opened at the Village Fete. Mrs H Batterby will speak to the Fete Committee.


The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.