Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 2nd April 2012 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mr S Bluff

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mrs P Saunders

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Cllr Mrs S Turner

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Mr Rob Knight - Veolia

Mr Henry Edmonds - Cholderton Water

Borough Councillor Mrs E Charnley

Member of the Public - Mrs C Estlick and Mr A Telfer.

Apologies : Cllr Mr M Udale - Vice Chairman, Cllr Mr M Bladen, Mr D Sperry - VC Chairman,

County Councillor Mrs P West and Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook.

WELCOME. The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and introduced Mr Rob Knight from Veolia.

VEOLIA - TIDWORTH

Mr Rob Knight stated that he was the Assistant Wastewater Operations Manager at Veolia Water Outsourcing Limited at Tidworth. He had come to talk about the recent breach of the lagoon bank letting water into the River Bourne.

Mr Rob Knight had a slide presentation, which is attached to these minutes. Points noted from the presentation :-

* The Tidworth Plant manages the waste water from 11,000 people.

* The Tidworth sewage works has 4 lagoons - Numbers 1 and 2 are lined, number 3 is the

soak away lagoon and number 4 is an overflow from number 3.

* The lagoons are now to be dredged and cleaned every two to three years.

* The breach in the number 4 lagoon was caused by higher water levels due to the silting

up of lagoon 3 and rabbit damage. Repairs have been made to stop the flow of water and

an investigation is being undertaken to reinforce the banks. The number 3 lagoon will be

dredged to allow the water to soak away at its maximum capacity.

* Mr Knight reported that Veolia are waiting for the newt ecology report from Natural

England before work can begin on dredging the No 3 lagoon.

* Veolia are looking to the future and how they will expand to meet the increase of capacity

with the new housing planned for Tidworth.

QUESTIONS.

* Mr A Telfer stated that there has been many problems with the Tidworth sewage works

over the years and spoke about the recent problems. Mr Knight stated that he can not

comment on the past but he was here to try and sort out the current problem and to

discuss the way forward, ensuring a better working relationship with Shipton Bellinger

through the Parish Council.

* Cllr Mr Richardson raised concerns about the elimination of certain types of bacteria

present in sewage and asked if this solely relied on the chalk for filtering? The answer

was yes.

* Mr H Edmonds stated that he thought that Veolia should have informed the Parish Council

back in December about the breach to the banks and explained the situation.

Mr Edmonds felt that there is a total lack of communication, problems up-stream has

consequences for those down stream. Mr Knight agreed and again stated that is why he

had come to the meeting to mend bridges and move forward.

Mr Henry Edmonds had obtained a copy of the Southern Water test results taken from a bore hole on Cllr Mr T Bowdens land. The nitrates present in the water are only just within guide lines. Mr Edmonds stated that it was a pity that the report did not break down the nitrates so that they could be identified. Mr Edmonds was concerned about the volume of water Veolia put in to the ground (2 million litres a day), this filters through the chalk eventually getting into the drinking water supply further down stream. He stated that Cholderton Water have been in communication with the Environment Agency about the nitrates for over 27 years and have registered their concerns for the drinking water supply. He also stated that there is a lot to discuss with Veolia about reducing the nitrate levels at the Tidworth plant. Mr Edmonds stated that if the nitrate levels become unacceptable for the drinking water supply, Cholderton Water have two options either a treatment plant at a cost of over 1 Million or having the water piped from Amesbury, again with a million pound price tag!

The Chairman thanked Mr Rob Knight for coming and suggested that all the agencies will be invited to the AGM on the 14th May 2012 so the village can talk about water issues. Mr Knight and Mr Edmonds said they will both attend and the Parish Council thought this a good idea. The Chairman will contact the Environment Agency, Test Valley Borough Council and Southern Water.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest in the Village Centre

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow declared an interest in Footpath 5, Flooding and the Allotments.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in Footpath 5 and the Allotments.

PARISH COUNCIL VACANCY

The Clerk has informed TVBC of Cllr Mr D Davies resignation.

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Mr David Sperry had sent the following report. There has been no progress with the Shipton Rams, Test Valley Contract Services have been engaged to cut the field this year as the future of the Shipton Rams is uncertain. One of the bollards in the car park has been damaged and is waiting for the drivers insurance. The knee rail has been installed and the Village Centre AGM is on the 21st May 2012.

On the 21st April two members of the management Committee will be attending the annual show case put on by Hog the Limelight. The Village Centre are finding it more difficult to sell tickets for events and ask if the Parish Council have any ideas to boost sales?

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING. The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matter arising from those minutes :-

GRIT BIN - The missing grit bin in Bulford Road has still not been replaced.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING - No news

BMX The Chairman had contacted James Baldwin from the BMX group inviting him to the meeting but had not had an answer as of that evening.

POTHOLES - Some of the potholes reported have received a temporary repair but there are still many outstanding issues that need attention.

FOOTPATH 5 - The Chairman reported that she had met with Peter Watson from Hampshire Rights of Way earlier in the day to discuss Footpath 5. Mr Watson has looked at the area in need of a surface up-grade and has suggested that part of the footpath could be done using the tray method - doing away with the wooden boards and using the soil sides to keep the surface in position. Doing away with the need for wooden boards should bring the cost down. Mr Watson has gone away to speak to some of his contractors and will come back with a new specification.

The Chairman reported that she spoke about the Countryside Access Scheme with Mr Watson and will put in an application for matched funding. Veolia have promised the Village a grant of 250 towards the Footpath 5 project.

QUEENS DIAMOND JUBILEE BENCHES - The Parish Council looked at the information on benches supplied by the Clerk and agreed to purchase two benches for the Playing Field made from recycled materials. The Clerk was asked to proceed with the order.

PLANNING

12/00630/FULLN - Single storey side extension to form dining room and erection of porch -

Evelines, High Street, Shipton Bellinger.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTIONS to this planning application.

CPRE - Campaign to Protect Rural England - The Chairman reported that she had attended an event hosted by CPRE to discuss Localism and Neighbourhood Plans. The Chairman reported that the event was informative but she was taken aback that it costs in the region of 20,000 to complete a Neighbourhood Plan. The Chairman suggested that the Parish Council subscribe to CPRE as they provide a wealth of information and work closely with NALC. Membership is 30 a year. The Parish Council agreed.

CRICKET NETS

When the BMX humps were installed Nelly also dug a trench for the Cricket Nets to be installed so that they could be moved from the Play Courts to the corner of the field. This now need finishing off so the mat and nets can be moved. The Cricket lads are going to look at the trench to see what needs to be done so the mat can be laid, it is thought that a concrete base or some other hard surface needs to be put down.

FINANCIAL REPORT

Payments made in April 2012

SBVC Year Grant Payment and Hire of Room 2,305.00

Astor Community Garage rent - 2 months 76.64

R.N. Waterman Wages - Standing Order 325.25

R.N. Waterman Expenses 135.75

Mr T Bowden Refund for Christmas Tree 46.00

 

 

BOROUGH COUNCILLOR MR P LASHBROOK

Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook commended the Parish Council on the handling of the recent river issues. The Chairman wished thanks to Cllr Mr T Bowden and Mrs Bowden for all their work in bringing the matter of the contaminated water in the River Bourne to the Authorities attention be recorded.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

CLLR MR T BOWDEN - Brought along a Christmas Tree for planting on the Village Green for approval. The Parish Council all thought the tree was ideal and asked Cllr Bowden to proceed with its planting.

Cllr Mr T Bowden reported that at the Coffee Pot had a problem with a van parking in the disabled space in the Village Centre car park, this blocked access to the ramp and caused difficulties for one of the customers visiting the event. After some time it was established that the van belonged to a member of staff at the school, the van was not moved until after the Coffee Pot finished. Cllr Bowden asked if the Parish Council would write to the School on this matter. It was suggested that it might be advantageous for the staff members to give their vehicle registration numbers to the School Secretary in case of any further incidents when a vehicle needs moving. The Chairman will write to the Head Teacher.

CLLR MR G RICHARDSON - Reported that a parishioner has asked what has happened to the Village Design Statement? The Parish Council discussed this and it was agreed that the Clerk will get the hard copy transferred to disc so that alterations can be made to update the plan. The Clerk was asked to put the Village Design Statement on the June meetings agenda.

Cllr Richardson noted that cars are parking at the copse of beech trees past Parkhouse Road and camping.

CLLR MRS P SAUNDERS - Reported that the street light just up from her property has been on for over a week. The Clerk stated that he reported this to Street Lighting at HCC the Tuesday before the meeting and received an email stating that the report would be dealt with within 3 working days. The Clerk will contact them again.

Cllr Mrs P Saunders reported that on the 19th March 2012 the lunchtime bus did not complete the route up Parkhouse Road to the Threadgill Way stop but turned into Muscott Close leaving a passenger stranded at the Threadgill Way stop. She has witnessed this several times. The Chairman stated that she will contact the bus company.

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that Peter Watson is going to order some signs for Footpath 13 warning Walkers of Vehicles and Vehicles of Walkers where the footpath crosses the road to the barn.

CLOSE OF THE MEETING

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

14TH May 2012 in the Village Centre Main Hall at 7.30pm - AGM

A short Parish Council meeting will be held at 7pm to elect the Chairman and Vice Chairman and to conduct any urgent business and Planning.