Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 3rd October 2011 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mr M Udale - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mrs S Turner

Cllr Mr S Bluff

Cllr Mr M Bladen

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Cllr Mr T Bowden

James and Jamie - BMX Bikers

Mr D Sperry - Village Centre Chairman

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Jane Rukin - Community Action Hampshire

Donna Wages - TVBC

Member of the Public - 57

Apologies : County Councillor Mrs P West and Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING

Jane Rukin - Community Action Hampshire

Donna Wages - Test Valley Borough Council

The Chairman introduced Jane Rukin and Donna Wages who had come to talk about Affordable Housing in Shipton Bellinger.

Jane Rukin and Donna Wages spoke at length about an Affordable Housing scheme in Shipton Bellinger. Members of the public voiced their opinions and the Chairman had to bring the meeting to order on several occasions. Points raised included :-

1. Community Action Hampshire work with several Housing Association to provide

Affordable Housing in the Rural Areas. Hyde Housing would be the preferred partner for

a scheme in Shipton Bellinger.

2. 5 sites had been identified in Shipton Bellinger - 4 on MOD land and 1 on H.C.C. land.

The Planners have identified 3 sites as unsuitable, 1 with possibilities and the preferred

site being the Manor Farm, Bulford Road site. 2 of the sites had been identified from the

Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) - Sites that landowners put

forward for development.

3. A Housing Survey undertaken in 2008 showed a need for 20 Affordable Houses. 146

replies were received equating to 26% of the total forms sent out, 78% of the replies

supported a small scheme in Shipton Bellinger. The Housing waiting list, as of the 3rd October 2011, is now 38. The waiting list is reviewed and up-dated every year.

4. Housing will only be for Shipton Bellinger allocations and will only be given to people with village connections.

5. A small development of 6 to 10 properties is envisaged for Shipton Bellinger.

6. Any houses built will be for rent and not shared ownership.

Points raised from the Members of the Pubic included :-

1. Donna and Jane were asked to explain the difference between Social and Affordable

Housing. They were not able to give a true definition at the meeting.

2. Many of the public present stated that they did not get a housing survey form in 2008

3. An explanation on the commercial relationship with Hyde Housing was asked for.

4. The percentage of replies to the 2008 Housing Survey was of concern, it seems strange

that the decision to proceed is based on such a poor percentage of replies from a village

as large as Shipton Bellinger.

5. Concerns that houses would be allocated to people without village connections was aired.

6. It was felt that Jane and Donna had come ill prepared and did not have answers to the

questions asked.

7. The Bulford Road site is unsuitable, concerns that the remainder of Manor Farm will be

developed was of major concern, the village infrastructure could not take that amount

of development, the proposed small development would set a precedent.

8. It was noted that the Tennant Farmer has not been notified by the MOD that they have

put forward the land in question.

Some of the members of the public stated that affordable housing is needed in Shipton Bellinger, not everyone can afford to purchase a house on the open market and private rent is expensive. Surley as a community we should be backing affordable housing for the village. Bidding for Council Housing is a complicated process and many fall foul of the points system.

CONCLUSION

Jane and Donna will organise for an exhibition to be held in the village in the new year, personnel from Hyde Housing, Test Valley Borough Council and Community Action Hampshire will be present to answer questions.

The Chairman will put a box in the Shop for questions on the scheme. These will be collected and forwarded on to Jane and Donna. The Parish Council felt it was important to get the views of the whole village on this issue.

The Chairman brought this item of the agenda to a close and thanked Jane and Donna for coming. The majority of the public left the meeting. A short break was taken before the Parish Council meeting resumed.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest in the Village Centre

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow declared an interest in Footpath 5, Flooding and the Allotments.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in Footpath 5 and the Allotments.

Cllr Mr M Bladen declared an interest in Bulford Road/Watery Lane and the Village Centre.

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Mr D Sperry reported that there has been one incident of vandalism involving a youth and one of the telegraph poles on the edge of the car park. The Police are involved and the incident has been caught on CCTV.

Mr Sperry reported that an additional Disabled Parking Bay had been marked out to the side of the Village Centre. The new rails for the car park have been ordered and should be installed by the end of October.

The recent Magic Show was a great success and the Village Centre were very lucky to have them perform. The next entertainment is Forest Forge, they are putting on a play to celebrate their 30th Anniversary, again Mr Sperry felt the Village Centre have been lucky to secure this event.

Mr Sperry was sorry to report that he had no news about the new goal posts, he is due to have a meeting with the Shipton Rams to discuss this issue. The lack of the goal posts is having an effect on bookings for football.

The Chairman thanked Mrs W Sperry for stepping in as Shipton News Editor whilst Chris Cox is away.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

FOOTPATH 5 - Cllr Mr G Richardson reported that he had no news to report on Footpath 5.

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow stated that she has sat and listened to the Parish Council talking about Footpath 5 for at least 15 years and would like to report that she has secured a supply of hardcore through Major R Luedicke, a promise of manpower from 6 Battalion REME from Major Kitchener has been pledged. Mr Curry has given permission for the hardcore to be delivered to the site over his land once the harvest has finished.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow reported that Major Luedicke has offered to oversee the project and asked if the Parish Council agreed for this to go ahead. The Parish Council thought this excellent news, all agreed and congratulated Cllr Mrs Tetlow for organising it.

The Chairman reported that she has emailed the owner of the land by Manor Close on Footpath 5 about the over hanging trees and has not yet received a reply.

BULFORD ROAD GRASS CUTTING - The Chairman reported that she had emailed Cllr Mr Lashbrook to inform him that the grass at the top of Bulford Road had still not been cut. Cllr Mr Lashbrook will be out of action for a wile and has asked that an problems are reported to Matt Casson, the Clerk has reported that the grass has not been cut for several weeks.

CRICKET NETS - The net and mat need to be taken in and stored for the winter.

CHRISTMAS TREE FESTIVAL - The Parish Council will be entering a Christmas tree. The Chairman asked the Councillors to think of ideas for discussion at the November meeting.

QUEENS DIAMOND JUBILEE - The Chairman reported that the Fete Committee have decided that next years Fete will have a Diamond Jubilee theme. The Parish Council will discuss the celebrations at the November Meeting. The Clerk suggested that the Parish Could create a celebration garden on the land they own by Red Villas, possibly installing a jubilee bench.

NOTICE BOARD - The Clerk reported that he has ordered a Notice Board for Bulford Road.

SPEEDING - The Chairman reported that PC Roger Kitson has been in the village checking the speed of motorists, no tickets were issued, the maximum speed recorded was 35 MPH.

MUSCOTT CLOSE - The Chairman reported that she has spoken to Richard Carmen at the MOD about the problem of removal lorries blocking the bus route in Muscott Close. Drivers will be asked to park as responsible as they can as not to obstruct the road for the buses.

FLY TIPPING - The Chairman reported that she has put a reminder about Fly Tipping in the Village News.

BUS SHELTERS - The Clerk reported that he has met with Queensbury Shelters for a final site visit. A base will need to be laid on the High Street site next to Red Villas. It has been suggested that a firmed hardcore base be installed rather than concrete - quotes will be sort.

TREES GARDENERS GREEN - Hampshire County Council have acknowledged that they are responsible for the trees in Gardeners Green and are to carry out an inspection to ascertain if they prove a danger to pedestrians or property.

BMX.

The Chairman and the Clerk visited Collingbourne Ducis to look at their BMX facilities, they

have a concrete park and grass humps, both are insured with AON. The Chairman had taken photographs and these had been sent to the Parish Councillors prior to the meeting, installing grass humps on the reclaimed strip of the Playing Field would not look out of place.

The Chairman asked Jamie and James for their views, Jamie and James stated that they would prefer a concrete BMX park as the grass humps do not allow them to fully utilize their skills. The Chairman understood this but the cost for a purpose built facility would be in the tens of thousand pounds, the grass humps are something the Parish Council could do now. The Chairman hoped that James and Jamie would help to design the facility.

Jamie and James have already been thinking about this and Jamie produce some rough drawings for the Parish Council to look at. The Clerk reported that he had spoken to Nelly and he has done several BMX tracks in the area and quoted 200 for a days work.

The Parish Council thought this encouraging and asked the Clerk to set up a site meeting. Cllr Mr T Bowden and Jamie will meet with Nelly.

Mr D Sperry reported that he has received a quote of 7,000 to prepare the rough ground for seeding. Mr Sperry also reported that he has been told that if the rough area is mowed frequently it will eventually become re-usable. The Chairman pointed out that if BMX humps could be put in then this large expenditure would not be necessary. Mr Sperry suggested that a new entrance be made in the hedge from Bridleway 1 for the BMX users as there is no direct route to this part of the field.

Rev Stuart Kersley was glad to hear that something was going to be done for the youth to ride their bikes, at the moment they are using the river bank outside the church. Rev Kersley stated that it appeared from reading the minutes that the Church was not doing anything, this was not the case and they have been trying to stop it by various means.

PLANNING

11/01746/FULLN - erection of two semi-detached 3-bed dwellings on land adjacent to

Phoenix Cottage, High Street, Shipton Bellinger.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTIONS to this Planning Application.

Test Valley Borough Council have informed the Parish Council of a Tree Preservation Order

on the land adjacent to Phoenix Cottage, High Street, Shipton Bellinger.

FINANCIAL REPORT.

Payments to be made in October 2011

R.N. Waterman Wages 325.25

R.N. Waterman Office Allowance 2011 and Expenses 129.00

Audit Commission Audit Fee 342.00

Bank Account Balance after above payments are made = 15,609.11

HAMPSHIRE ASSOCIATION OF LOCAL COUNCILS

The Chairmans of Kimpton, Quarley, Amport, Monxton, Grateley, Over Wallop, Shipton Bellinger and Appleshaw had met to discuss membership of HALC. Apologies were received from Fyfield and Penton Grafton Parish Councils and Cllr Mr P Lashbrook. The meeting was chaired by Cllr Mrs P West and Cllr Mr C Milner Williams Chairman of Thruxton and HALC board member was present.

The meeting centered on the service and value for money the Parish Councils got from being a member of HALC. Shipton Bellinger was asked to pay 330 subscription this financial year. Cllr Mr C Milner Williams championed HALC but failed to convince the Chairmans present the benefit of membership. All information is now available on the internet and training courses etc can be sourced elsewhere or through HALC at a non discounted rate. The Chairmans felt that the 200,000 plus administration costs for HALC were excessive, it was felt that a smaller local group of Parish Councils should be set up without the overheads and be more beneficial to the local area.

The Chairmans agreed that they would meet every quarter to discuss issues and exchange information. It was agreed that each Chairman would report back to their Parish Councils and propose that membership to HALC would not be renewed but be reviewed next year. The Chairmans will meet again in the New Year to discuss the way forward.

The Parish Council discussed HALC membership and agreed with what had been reported, it was felt that the money saved could be put to better use in the village.

The Chairman proposed that membership to HALC is not renewed and joining a new local cluster group is explored. This was seconded by Cllr Mr M Udale. All agreed.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

CLLR MR S BLUFF - Asked if the County Council plan to refill the grit bins in the village? The Clerk reported that Cllr Mrs P West has informed him that the grit bins will be refilled during October/November.

Cllr Mr S Bluff reported that owners of 4 wheeled drive vehicles will be asked if they would volunteer their services if we get heavy snow during the winter. Neighbourhood Watch have highlighted that there is an increase in heating oil thefts in the area.

CLLR MR M BLADEN - Reported that the pavement in Bulford Road adjacent to the school playing field has weeds growing up through the surface again and the hedge needs cutting. The Clerk will report the pavement to Highways and the Chairman will mention the hedge when she is next at the school.

CLLR MR M UDALE - Reported that there is no change in the ground water levels and there is no danger of flooding. There is no news on the tests for nitrates in the water carried out earlier in the year. Cllr Mr G Richardson briefly spoke about the rules regarding the spreading of sewage on the land.

CLLR MR T BOWDEN - Reported that there are large holes in the road by the entrance to St Peters Close. The Chairman thought it was time for another site meeting with Mr J Clarke from Highways. The Clerk will arrange a meeting later in the month, Cllr Mr T Bowden ask to be included.

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that that Cllr Mr T Bowden has offered to provide a Christmas Tree for the Village Green again this year. The Parish Council thanked him for his generous offer. Decorating the tree was discussed and it was noted that additional CD decorations are needed as they survive the weather better. The Chairman has already asked Shipton Bellinger Pre-School if the children could make some more for this years tree.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC

The Parish Council were asked if there was any progress on play equipment for the older children? Cllr Mr M Bladen reported that the project is ongoing, the project is likely to cost in the region of 70,000 hopefully funded by grants.

The behaviour and animosity from the public earlier in the meeting towards the two ladies who had come to talk about affordable housing was raised, the Parish Council were asked to consider the bigger picture, there are families in the village that need housing and can not afford to get on to the property ladder.

The Chairman stated that the Parish Council will objectively look at the proposals when they have the full updated information on the housing need in the village. The Chairman felt that the discussion earlier in the meeting was against the proposed site not the need for affordable housing.

The Parish Council were asked when the new permissive footpath at Home Farm, Tidworth would be open? The Chairman believed work is due to start soon and the footpath should be open some time in November.

CLOSE OF THE MEETING

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

November 2011 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.