Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 7th February 2011 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr M Udale

Cllr Mr M Bladen

Cllr Mr S Bluff

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Mr D Sperry - Village Centre Chairman

Members of the Public - Mrs R Flowers

Apologies : Cllr Mr D Davies, Cllr Mrs S Turner, County Councillor Mrs P West and Borough

Councillors Mr P Lashbrook and Mrs E Charnley.

WELCOME. The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow declared an interest in Footpath 5, Flooding and the Allotments.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in Footpath 5 and the Allotments

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest in the Village Centre

Cllr Mr M Bladen declared an interest in Watery Lane/ Bulford Road and as the Village Centre Representative.

Cllr Mr S Bluff declared an interest in Neighbourhood Watch.

POLICE REPORT AND NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH REPORT

PC Roger Kitson sent his apologies and reported that PCSO Rachael Cassells is working in Andover for the next three months.

Cllr Mr S Bluff reported that PC R Kitson plans to revamp the Neighbourhood Watch scheme on his beat, Shipton Bellinger require additional Street Co-ordinators, an article will go into the Shipton Bellinger News.

Cllr Mr S Bluff spoke about a new initative to security tag heating oil with a dye, additional information and Security Tag warning stickers are available through Neighbourhood Watch.

Cllr Mr S Bluff informed the Parish Council that there has been a shed burglary in the village, a lot of equipment was taken of considerable value.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow reported that Mrs P Hughes is still listed in the Shipton News as the Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator. Cllr Mr Bluff will speak to Chris Cox to get this changed.

VILLAGE CENTRE REPORT.

Cllr Mr M Bladen has taken over the job of Parish Council Representative on the Village Centre Management Committee from Cllr Mr D Davies.

Cllr Mr M Bladen reported that he had attended the Village Centre Management Committee meeting held in January. A pipe burst above the viewing room during the recent cold spell causing considerable damage to the ceiling and light fittings, all covered by insurance.

Expensive repairs to the Village Centre Roof have been put on hold for the time being. Quotes to install the cricket nets are being sort and the proposed ISO container will be insulated and have lights.

Cllr Mr Bladen reported that that the grant from the Parish Council was discussed and the comments on the Cleaner's hours noted. The increase in expenses and planned improvements

were discussed. A fund raising committee is to be formed.

Cllr Mr Bladen spoke about the need to clear the earth and hedging matter from the Playing Field. There are 5 heaps that need to be disposed of, the heaps are a combination of soil and wood making it difficult to burn, there is also a number of other items that need removing including some old equipment. The heaps need to be sorted which will be a mammoth task.

This was discussed at length and several options suggested :-

1. Sort the heaps and have a large bonfire to burn the combustable material.

2. Once sorted remove the soil,

3. TVBC have indicated that they may be able to bring their chipper to assist with the removal

of the hedging material. It was thought that there might be too much material and the job

would take days. The Clerk will speak to TVBC and suggest they come and look at the job.

4. The Army may be able to help with the removal of the heaps.

It was agreed that the Village Centre and the Parish Council will work together to find a solution to this problem.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

It was noted that the date of the July Meeting should have read 4th. The Chairman then signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

SOUTHERN WATER - The four bore holes have been dug and go down 20 Metres. Cllr Mr T Bowden reported that a layer of flint has been detected 10-12 metres down, contaminated water is thought to be travelling along this layer of flint. Henry Edmonds from Cholderton water has found high levels of nitrates in the water supply, hence the investigations by Southern Water to find where the nitrates are coming from. It is not yet clear if the contamination is coming from the Tidworth or Shipton Bellinger sewage works.

Cllr Mr T Bowden reported that if the levels of nitrate continue to rise Cholderton Water will have to start pumping in water which inevitably mean higher water charges for the village. The Parish Council are monitoring the situation.

SOLAR CARBON UK - The Chairman reported that there was some confusion over the date of the consultation day held in the Village Centre. The consultancy firm printed the wrong date on the flyers. Surveyors have been seen in the village taking photographs before a Planning Application is submitted.

GRIT BINS - The Parish Council discussed the issue of Grit Bins and their use and misuse. The Chairman has put an article in the Shipton News. The Clerk has put in a request to Highways for the grit bins to be re-filled.

GRAVE YARD RULES

The Chairman and the Clerk signed the new revised Grave Yard Rules. The new charges came into force on the 1st January 2011.

PLANNING.

The Clerk reported that Hampshire County Council have informed the Parish Council of a Planning Application for a Community Room at the Shipton Bellinger Primary School.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTIONS to this Planning Application.

TEST VALLEY PARTNERSHIP MEETING

The Chairman reported that several issues came out of the recent Test Valley Partnership meeting held in the Village Centre. The meeting was aimed at the older generation of the village and their needs, although all ages were represented.

BUS SHELTER - The need for an additional Bus Shelter at the top of Parkhouse Road was brought up. Following on from the meeting the Clerk has done some investigating and an identical bus shelter to match the other two in the village will cost 1500 installed. The Chairman reported that we may be able to get 50% of the cost through grant aid.

The Parish Council discussed this and agreed that the Clerk will apply for the grant and the Parish Council will commit to fund half the cost. The Clerk will need to provide three quotes with the application. It was agreed the bus shelter will be placed at the Threadgill Way bus stop as this is used by the top end of the village. The Clerk will consult with the residents of Threadgill Way to see if they had any objections to a bus shelter being erected.

The Chairman will contact the Bus Company to ask if the passenger numbers are available for the route and the numbers getting on at Threadgill Way.

LIBRARY SERVICE - The Chairman reported that there is a consultation underway on the mobile library service. With the Government cut backs it is proposed to cut the number of visits to the rural villages by half. The Library Bus will visit the village once a month for a longer period, more books and the time they are lent will be increased. The Parish Council discussed this and felt that as long as the service was not withdrawn the cuts seemed reasonable, however it was suggested that the Library Bus stops at the Village Centre instead of its current stops in Bulford Road and the High Street and if possible coinciding with the Coffee Pot opening hours.

PARKING OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL - This was also a subject raised at the meeting. Hampshire County Council Safer Route to Schools team and Test Valley Highways are looking at parking at all the Schools in Test Valley.

PRECEPT

The Parish Council Precept for the year 2011/2012 was set at 21,000. The minutes of the In Camera meeting held to discuss the Precept in December 2010 will now be put on the Notice Boards and on the Web Site.

 

 

CLLR MRS E CHARNLEYS REPORT.

Cllr Mrs E Charnley has raised the bad state of the village roads with Hampshire Highways, highlighting the deep pot holes that appeared after the snow.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS.

CLLR MR T BOWDEN - Reported that the street light in Hedges Close reported in December has still not been repaired. The Clerk will report this street light again to H.C.C.

Cllr Mr Bowden reported that a recent community meeting he was talking to the developer of the new houses in Tidworth. The developer was surprised that Shipton Bellinger had not been consulted at the planning stage as there will be additional traffic on the A338 as a result of this development. This was discussed and will be raised with the Tidworth Town Council.

CLLR MRS R TETLOW - Reported that the Boot Inn are now leaving out their A boards and just lying them on the ground during the week, this was not part of the agreement that the Parish Council had with the Boot Inn. The Boot Inn need to be asked to remove their sign. This was noted. The sign on the A338 is a matter for Highways.

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that following on from the Test Valley Partnership meeting she has invited Mr James Moody from Test Valley to come to the AGM and talk about the 'Community Conversations' run by the Test Valley Partnership.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds reported that the Test Valley Association of Local Councils are meeting on the 3rd March at Kings Somborne and anyone wishing to attend with her would be most welcome. The Notice Board in the High Street was damaged in January - this has now been repaired.

Cllr Miss Reynolds reported that Mrs Wendy Sperry had brought to her attention the state of the small rubbish bin on the telegraph pole at the junction of the High Street and footpath 6 - the bin was broken and had not been emptied for some time, as a result looked very untidy. This bin has been replaced with a new one and will be emptied every week by Chris Wilkins.

Cllr Miss Reynolds reported that Mr Curry had contacted her to inform the Parish Council that work on cutting back the hedge that borders his land along part of footpath 17 is due to commence, the hedge needs cutting back so the problem with the large number of rabbits burrowing under this hedge can be dealt with.

Cllr Mr G Richardson stated that he was against the decimation of this hedge row, there is no need for this hedge to be cut back. A lengthy heated discussion followed. It was agreed that the Chairman will contact Mr Curry the following morning to relay the concerns raised by some of the members of the Parish Council.

AFTER NOTE :

Following on the meeting the Chairman has spoken to Iain Curry and subsequently also seen and spoken to his farm manager. They had no intention of decimating the village side of footpath 17 to mirror the 'electricity board' side. He had intended to keep the original hedge in size and height anyway but is proposing to take out just the first row of vegetation, whatever that might consist of, alongside the path. This will enable them to keep the sides clear during the spring and summer of 'weeds' so they can continue to manage the rabbit problem.

Cllr Miss Reynolds reported that a tree surgeon visiting the village looking for work indicated that the trees on the Parish Council owned piece of land in the High Street by Red Villas are dead and need removing. The Parish Council will wait until the spring to see if these trees shoot before taking any action.

Cllr Miss Reynolds reported that Cllr Mrs S Turner represented the Parish Council at Mr Peter Wests funeral. The Parish Council were very sorry to hear about the sad loss of Mr Peter West and their thoughts were with Cllr Mrs P West.

FLOOD WARDEN

The Chairman reported that Cllr Mrs S Turner has offered to temporarily take over the role of Flood Warden while Cllr Mr D Davies is working abroad, however Cllr Mr Davies had to leave

at such short notice there was no time for a handover, Cllr Mrs S Turner is also away at the moment.

The Chairman reported that she has since received an email from Cllr Mr Davies and water level readings in the village are not of concern at the moment and so there is no imminent danger of flooding.

Mr D Sperry reported that Mr John Hughes has a well in his property and there is no water in it at the moment, unusual for this time of year.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC

Mr D Sperry reported that the Village Centre Viewing Room has now dried out and that he hoped that the repairs will be carried out with in a month. On 6th April Hog the Limelight are to host a big event in the Village Centre highlighting a show case of events that are put on in Hampshire.

CORRESPONDENCE.

The Clerk reported that he has received a cheque for 250 from the Shipton Allotments Society in respect of the Putting the Allotments back to Field. The Parish Council have now been paid the 500 agreed when the Allotments were set up.

The Clerk has received a letter from Mrs W Woodcock asking for clarification on the use of the field behind Gardeners Green. There have been problems with dogs entering her garden form the field through her neighbours open gate. The Clerk will confirm that the area of land left by Mr Curry around his field is not a Public Right of way or a permissive footpath. The Parish Council suggested that Mrs Woodcock speaks to Mr Curry.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN FEBRUARY 2011.

SBVC Hire of Rooms 60.00

Glasdon New Rubbish Bin 191.64

Mr B Pearce Ditch Cleaning 160.00

R.N. Waterman Wages 318.75

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.

7th March 2011 in the Village Centre at 7.30pm.