Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 19th April 2010 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs G Naish - Vice Chairman - Arrived just before the end of the meeting.

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mrs S Turner

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr M Udale

Cllr Mr M Bladen

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Members of the Public - 1

Apologies : Cllr Mr S Bluff, County Councillor Mrs P West and Borough Councillors Mr P

Lashbrook and Mrs E Charnley.

WELCOME. The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow declared an interest in Footpath 5, Flooding and the Allotments.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in Footpath 5 and the Allotments

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest in the Village Centre

Cllr Mr M Bladen declared an interest in Watery Lane/ Bulford Road.

Cllr Mr D Davies - PC Village Centre Representative.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

CUTTING OF THE PLAYING FIELD HEDGE - On going - no further news to report.

POT HOLES - The Chairman reported that she had received an email from Ken Thornber, the Leader of Hampshire County Council in response to an email she had sent to Cllr Mrs P West about the state of the roads and the issue of pot holes. The contents were read out to the meeting :-

Thank you for the feedback on the works that you observed at Shipton Bellinger - this was most helpful to us and the term contractor. You are right that the network is suffering at the moment following the adverse wintry weather and we are working hard to restore the network.

We work with our Term Highways Contractor, Amey, to group together work in one area and whenever possible the pothole repair gangs will repair other potholes when they see them. We also have a dedicated crew working solely on the 'A' road network carrying out running repairs and this is the work that you monitored. Obtaining the best productivity is important to all of us and I have followed this up with the contractor following your report.

It would seem that the workmen were awaiting material deliveries when you observed them which is acceptable but of course I have reiterated the importance of efficient working and good productivity.

Please let me know of any further issues about productivity and the quality of any future work in your area.

Thank you for alerting me to the repairs needed in the village, it is possible that some have already been carried out but I will ask our Environment Department to direct the works team to these locations.

The Tesco roundabout is scheduled to be resurfaced shortly as part of works in association with the East Anton development. Unfortunately the surface is in a poor condition and we are working with Amey to keep the roundabout in a safe condition until it is resurfaced. I am aware that some of the repairs did not last as expected and this has been taken up with Amey along with your comments on the standard of the repairs.

It was noted that some of the major pot holes on the A338 and the village roads have been repaired. There are still some minor pot holes in the village that need repairing.

ROAD GULLIES - The Clerk confirmed that he has spoken to John Clarke at Highways and the road gullies on the A338 through the village have been cleared.

GRIT BINS - The Parish Council discussed the issue of grit bins and possible sites in the village, it was thought that 6 in number would suffice. However it was agreed that until the issue of liability insurance was clarified in writing the Parish Council would not commit to the scheme.

FLASHING SPEED SIGNS - The Flashing Speed Signs have been in the village for over a week now. It has been noticed that many cars are now breaking once they have been activated. It was noted that they are activated above 45MPH.

The Clerk reported that he had spoken to a member of Tidworth Town Council about the issue of Speed Signs and their effectiveness. T.T.C. sing their praises, due to the nature of the A338 and the amount of through traffic using it, permanent Flashing Speed Signs do help to keep the speed of traffic down. The two to three week window of effectiveness does not seem to apply on this route. The Clerk suggested that he ask Ray Alborough to carry out a further traffic survey at some stage in the future when the Speed Signs are in the village to see if there is a noted change from the previous recorded data.

The Parish Council though this a good idea and discussed the possibility of having permanent Speed Signs in the village in the future if it is proved that traffic speed is reduced.

NOTICE BOARD - The Clerk reported that he has placed an order with the Village Carpenter at Weyhill for a new Notice Board.

BUS SHELTER - The Clerk reported that the replacement glass for the Bus Shelter in the High Street has been ordered.

BULFORD ROAD DIESEL - The Environment Agency has investigated the Diesel spillage in Bulford Road and will be taking no further action. The spillage has dispersed and there has been no major damage caused.

Cllr Mr M Bladen reported that some of the verge has been damaged and there are a few areas of the road that are breaking up.

It was decided to monitor this over the coming months and if the situation worsens it will be reported to Highways and the Environment Department.

PLANNING.

10/00731/FULLN - Erection of single storey rear extension to provide utility and conservatory,

Installation of flue and provision of patio doors at front - Berriedale, Bulford

Road.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTION to this Planning Application.

OPERATION CLEAN SWEEP - 23rd APRIL 2010.

The Tidworth and Bulford Garrison have arranged their annual clean up of their property, the Garrison Commander was keen to spread this out to include the village. Test Valley Borough Council have also got involved and will also be helping with the clean up. The Fletcher Room has been booked for the morning.

A338/A346 WORKING GROUP.

The Chairman and the Clerk attended the A338/A346 Working Group meeting held at the Tidworth Leisure Centre. The aim of the group is to de-prime the A338 and the A346 as an HGV route from the St Thomas Bridge in Salisbury through to the M4 junction at Swindon.

The Group are looking for support from Wiltshire Council before speaking to neighbouring counties on establishing an alternative route, the route has been identified along the A30/A343 to join up with the A303 linking to the A34.

Shipton Bellinger will now be included in all correspondence and will attend future meetings. Tidworth Town Council are represented on the Group and are keen form a working relationship with Shipton Bellinger, there are so many issues that arise that effect both areas.

The Chairman reported that the road works at the Watery Lane junction on the A338 are nearly complete. Additional white line markings are to be added to the red shaded area and the post and flashing Right Turn warning sign are to be installed. The Chairman pointed out that the new signs have been installed but they do not have the curve with the right turn shown as proposed, at the request of Wiltshire the signs are the same as their signage along the A338 and show a straight line with a right turn!

The Parish Council briefly discussed two recent accidents at the junction both with in a week of each other. The Chairman reported that she has received a copy of a County Speed Limit Review document from Cllr Mrs P West, the review of the speed limit from Parkhouse to the County Boundary is top of the list.

FOOTPATHS

The Chairman had hoped that Cllr Mr Bluff would have been at the meeting to give an up-date on Footpath 5. Mr C Tait has also been asked to quote for the job.

Major sections of the pavement in Bulford Road from the High Street Junction to Parkhouse Road was repaired over the Easter Holidays.

The Chairman reported that the upgrading Footpath 1 from Shipton Bellinger to Home Farm at Tidworth is now back on the agenda. It is hoped that funding may be available.

CODE OF CONDUCT TRAINING AND STANDING ORDERS

Cllr Mr G Richardson reported that he has been vindicated on all accounts relating to the complaint made to the Standards Board about his conduct at the AGM by County Councillor Mrs P West and Cllr Mr P Lashbrook. He wished to thank the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council for their support, it has been a very stressful year. Cllr Mr Richardson was concerned that the County Councillor may have taken the matter further with his employer, but the Solicitor has dealt with the matter.

The Chairman and Cllr Mrs G Naish had also attended the hearing to give evidence and made the point that she felt the whole thing has been a waste of Tax Payers Money and felt that Councillors put themselves up for election and as part of the job should be prepared to take criticism. The Parish Council were pleased to hear that Cllr Mr G Richardson had been vindicated and agreed that the whole issue has been a waste of time and money.

Cllr Mr Richardson reported that the experience has highlighted how vulnerable the Parish Councillors are and he felt that there is a need for Code of Conduct Training so that no one is put in this position again. The Parish Council agreed and discussed the way forward.

It was agreed that the Clerk will contact HALC to get a quote for Code of Conduct Training and Cllr Mr G Richardson will contact Anne Marie Bott the Solicitor who acted for him at the hearing, who also does Code Of Conduct Training for a quote.

The new Standing Orders have now been released by NALC. The Clerk will obtain a copy and forward it to the Parish Councillors. The Chairman reported that she had spoken to Anne Marie Bott about Standing Orders and she suggested that the Parish Council adopt them as a whole rather than cherry picking relevant parts. This was noted.

PARISH COUNCILLORS REPORTS.

CLLR MR T BOWDEN - Reported that the two holes either side of the drain in Hedges Close have still not been repaired. The Clerk was asked to report this again to Highways.

CLLR MR G RICHARDSON - Reported that he has received complaints about vehicles parking and using Footpath 13 by visitors to the Allotments. Cllr Mr Richardson was not happy and felt that there are safety issues for pedestrians and that vehicles and pedestrians do not mix.

The Chairman reported that she has also had this matter raised by a parishioner. It was understood that permission for vehicles to enter the site was allowed during the initial set of the allotments so that large equipment could be moved on site. The Chairman will speak to Mr C Atkinson Chairman of the SAS on this matter.

CLLR MRS S TURNER - Reported that Mrs P Hughes understood she was the Village Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator and that she has not been informed of any change. Therefore it was a surprise to learn that Cllr Mr S Bluff has taken over the role. The Parish Council felt that there is obviously a lack of communication somewhere and they had not been consulted, but will pass this on to Cllr Mr P Lashbrook.

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that she has received an email from Mr D Marks from estates at Tidworth Garrison regarding the oil leak discovered at Tedworth House. Mr marks confirmed the following :-

* There has been an oil leak at Tedworth House. This was discovered within the last year.

* The works one can see in the Park are to establish the extent of any leakage and are now

complete.

* The aim of the work was to establish the extent of any contamination and confirm the

initial findings that NO contamination of the water course or the water table had taken

place.

* The very early indications are that no contamination is apparent although this will be

confirmed or not shortly.

* The work has been undertaken by our contractor and the Environment Agency has been

kept fully informed.

Mr Marks reassures the Parish Council that everything that should be done, is being done.

The Chairman reported that since receiving the letter from Mr Marks she has received a letter on the subject from Mr A Telfer, quoting Mr H Edmonds from Cholderton Water comments on the deteriorating quality of the water supply. The Chairman will reply to Mr Telfer quoting the above letter.

Cllr Mr D Davies reported that he has a contact at the MOD who has confirmed that heating oil had been leaking from a supply pipe under ground at Tedworth House, a large quantity of oil has been deposited, due to the nature of the ground it has been possible to extract the oil and this is being done.

CLLR MR M BLADEN - Asked if there has been any further news on the Filter Lane on the A338 at the Watery Lane junction, was Mr Ray Alborough investigating? The Clerk will contact Mr R Alborough for an up-date.

Cllr Mr Bladen spoke about the provision of Broadband in the village. Due to the poor state of the telephone lines into the village residents can not take advantage of the many cheaper offers from other service providers. BT need to upgrade the telephone exchange to provide a better service. The Clerk will speak to Tidworth Town Council on this matter as it was believed that they also have a problem with the service provided.

Cllr Mr Bladen declared an interest in the Tank Crossing being a resident of Bulford Road and overlooking the site. Cllr Mr Bladen is concerned about the state of the newly installed Tank Crossings along the route of the new track, their concrete construction will stick out like a sore thumb in the landscape around the village. This was noted.

Cllr Mr Bladen asked if the Parish Council agreed to him carrying a fact finding exercise for additional play equipment for the Playing Field? With the proposed cutting back of the hedge and undergrowth there may be room for additional equipment for the older children of the village. The Parish Council had no objection, it was suggested that a Trim Trail around the edge of the field could also be looked at.

VILLAGE CENTRE REPORT

Cllr Mr D Davies reported that the Village Centre made a profit in the last financial year as they had no major outlays. There was no further news on the Astro Turf to report.

CASTLE DOWN RADIO

The Parish Council discussed a possible grant to Castle Down Radio and it was agreed that no grant will be given, the Parish Council feel that local village projects must take priority for funding.

 

 

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC

Mrs C Estlick reported that there some large pot holes at the entrance to Kingfishers. The Clerk was asked to report this to Mr Clarke at Highways.

CORRESPONDENCE

The Pre-school Play Group have written to the Parish Council to thank them for their grant of 1000.

A letter has been received from Test Valley Borough Council informing the Parish Council that a housing need has been identified for Shipton Bellinger with 47 applicants with a local connection on the Housing Register. This was noted.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN APRIL 2010

R.N. Waterman Wages 318.75

SBVC Hire of Room 70.00

Hampshire Playing Field Association Subscription 20.00

H.A.L.C. Subscription 310.00

Hampshire County Council Street Lighting 28.55

ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN AND VICE CHAIRMAN

CHAIRMAN - Cllr Mr D Davies proposed Cllr Miss A Reynolds as Chairman, this was seconded by Cllr Mrs G Naish. All agreed. Cllr Miss A Reynolds was elected Chairman. Cllr Miss Reynolds thanked the Parish Council for their support.

VICE CHAIRMAN - By letter to the Chairman Cllr Mrs R Tetlow proposed Cllr Mr D Davies as Vice Chairman, this was seconded by Cllr Mrs S Turner.

Cllr Mr G Richardson proposed Cllr Mrs G Naish as Vice Chairman, this was seconded by Cllr Mr M Bladen.

A secret paper vote was held and counted by the Clerk. Cllr Mr D Davies received the majority vote and was duly elected Vice Chairman.

CLOSE OF THE MEETING

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

AGM 10th May 2010 in the main Hall the Village Centre at 7.30pm.