Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 1st March 2010 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs G Naish - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mrs S Turner

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr M Bladen

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr S Bluff

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

County Councillor Mrs P West

Borough Councillor Mrs E Charnley

Members of the Public - 4

Apologies : Cllr Mr M Udale and Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook.

WELCOME. The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow declared an interest in Footpath 5, Flooding and the Allotments.

Cllr Mrs G Naish declared an interest in Footpath 5 and Flooding.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in Footpath 5 and the Allotments

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest in the Village Centre

Cllr Mr M Bladen declared an interest in Watery Lane/ Bulford Road.

Cllr Mr D Davies - PC Village Centre Representative.

Cllr Mr S Bluff declared an interest in the Allotments

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Cllr Mr Davies reported on items raised at a recent Village Centre Management Meeting. Hog the Limelight have informed the Village Centre of a new Channel 4 series about country life as they feel that Shipton Bellinger meets all the criteria for the Programme -

* Have around 1000 residents

* Have a good sense of being a close knit community.

* Have some local amenities such as a shop, Village Hall, Public House and maybe even a

School

The programme aims to compare the idyllic village life with the fast paced city life. The Parish Council thought this sounded very interesting and worth pursuing.

Cllr Mr Davies reported that there are vacancies to join the 200 Club, there was a problem with rubbish on the field after a recent weekend football event, Buffalo Girls a Hog the Limelight event is being held and tickets are still available, with frugal spending this financial year the Village Centre budget is on track and they should break even. The Village Centre asked if there is any progress on the proposed Astro Turf project? The Parish Council have not received any further correspondence from the Football Team on this subject.

Cllr Mr Davies spoke about the top corner of the Playing Field adjacent to the Play Area, this large corner of the field is covered in bushes and vegetation and if cleared would enlarge the field.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow and the Clerk reported that the Parish Council have on many occasion considered clearing this corner of the field, it was proposed at one time that a Skateboard Park would fit in this corner, the Army had also offered to clear this corner and cut back the hedge along the fields length, TVBC had offered to supply a workman with Shredder. A date had been set to do the work, but unfortunately the start of the Iraq intervened and the army could not do the work. The Chairman will contact the Army to see if they could help if it was decided to cut back this area, this will be discussed further at a future meeting.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

BRIDGE FOOTPATH 14 - The Clerk reported that the H.C.C. Rights of Way Team are coming into the village this week to remove the broken bridge, it is proposed to replace the bridge later in the financial year.

The Team will also carry out work to alleviate the trip hazard on the drain cover on Footpath 5 between Kingfishers and Gardeners Green. The Clerk has asked Highways if they could please clear out the French Drain as this has filled up with silt again.

POT HOLES - The Chairman reported that she had emailed Cllr Pat West regarding the repairs to the A338 carried out by the H.C.C. roads maintenance contractor Amey. There were two large potholes on the A338 between village and Snoddington Lane and contractors arrived with two vehicles, cones and traffic lights so it was presumed they were going to sort out several holes at once. But no, the team, who were sitting in their vehicles, at approx. 11.00am and again 45 mins later when the Chairman returned to the village, although some work did appear to have been carried out. They were possibly waiting for the tarmac to set but as there is another bad pothole not 100yards further on down the road what a waste of time and money to not repair the second one while they were waiting! In fact although we have several holes awaiting repair, albeit in the actual village, that was the only one they did that day and no one has been back since. The pothole on the A338 is still there.

Cllr Mrs West had replied stating that she has forwarded the Chairmans e-mail on to the Leader of HCC and the Executive member for Environment & will be taking it up with the Chair of Environment & Scrutiny as she felt the contracts need checking.

The Clerk reported that Highways have a backlog of pot hole repairs and are aware of the pot holes in the village. The Clerk also reported that there have been problems on the A338 with blocked gullies causing flooding outside certain properties, this has been reported to Mr Clarke at Highways.

The Chairman asked if there was any further news on the Parish/Highways Partnership Scheme that was being trialed in Hampshire? Cllr Mrs West reported that it is a year long trial at East Meon, early reports suggest that it is working well. A report will be produced at the end of the trial.

 

HALC AND NALC - Cllr Mrs Naish reported that the presentation from both HALC and NALC at the TVAPC Meeting on the 4th March has been postponed to a later date as neither organisations could attend. Both however are still in negotiations so the chairman of the T.V.A.P.C felt it would be best to await the outcome of further consultations before having a discussion. The Chairman and Vice Chairman felt that as subscription payers, the Parish

Councils should be consulted on these further negotiations and will raise this when they attend the meeting on the 4th March.

GRIT BINS - Cllr Mrs P West re-capped on the proposed H.C.C. scheme for the provision of grit bins for the Rural Areas. Cllr Mrs West reported that the correct siting of the bins will be paramount to their success and this will need to be looked at carefully, H.C.C. are looking at the costs and feel that working in partnership with the Parish Councils is the way forward. The bins will be locked and necessitate key holders.

The Parish Council are still concerned about the liability issue, it is understood that this is being looked into and this needs to be made clear and precise from the start. The Chairman also asked that if the parish had grit bins would we still receive the same level of gritting as we do now. Cllr Mrs West stated that the same level of gritting will be provided by H.C.C. and that the grit bins will be in addition to this.

It was agreed that the Parish Council will discuss sites and numbers of grit bins at the next meeting, it was thought prudent to be ready with numbers and sites if the liability issue is sorted out. Whether there is any liability for the MOD to salt in areas they have married quarters was briefly discussed and will be looked into.

Cllr Mrs West was asked if the grit bins had to be yellow, and if they are intended for the pavements or roads? Cllr Mrs West stated that green ones are available and common sense should prevail with how and for what they are used for.

A338 - The Clerk and Chairman were pleased to report that work on the traffic calming scheme for the Watery Lane Junction is due to start on the 3rd March, the flashing warning sign, as part of the scheme, is on order and should be installed a few weeks later.

The Parish Councils own flashing speed signs are now in Grateley and we are next on the list to receive them.

The proposed extension to the 40MPH speed limit and the additional 50MPH to the County border will follow in time. The review of the 40MPH limit to be reduced to 30MPH was discussed. Cllr Mrs P West confirmed that this is a separate issue and should not be confused with the proposals for the Watery Lane junction.

Cllr Mrs Naish reported that there was an article in the Local Paper concerning villages along the A338 clubbing together to get it removed from the preferred lorry route. Cllr Mrs Naish suggested that Shipton Bellinger offer their support, all agreed that this should be done.

PLANNING

There were no Planning Applications to discuss.

BOROUGH COUNCILLOR MRS E CHARNLEYS REPORT

Cllr Mrs Charnley reported that as a result of the adverse weather conditions in January, and feedback received from the public, a new web page of snow information has been put together. It contains updates about council services, as well as links to a variety of external agencies. This ‘block’ can be added temporarily to the home page of the Council’s website.

Christine Brown, Communications Manager, is attending the March meeting of the Test Valley Association of Parish Councils to discuss opportunities to include parish council clerks in the communications bulletins sent to press and borough councillors during adverse weather conditions or in other emergency situations.

Garden Waste Collection Service renewals

All residents will be receiving a leaflet inviting them to join or renew their Garden Waste Collection Service subscription with their Council Tax bill which will be going out from 12 March. The leaflet is designed to encourage people to use the online application process if they wish to, which should help to reduce the number of calls into the CSU.

There is a slight increase in service fees this year with the first licence costing £20 under the Early Bird offer and £23 outside of it. New subscribers will pay an additional charge of £1.00 to purchase a reusable sack. Existing subscribers are being encouraged to use their sacks from last year. However, if a replacement is required at the time of renewal, there will be a charge of £1.00. As a further reminder about the service, bin hangers will be going out from w/c 8 March.

COUNTY COUNCILLOR MRS P WESTS REPORT.

Cllr Mrs P West reported that the Hampshire County Council has set its budget for 2010/11 which will see an increase in council tax of just 38 pence a week for the average Band D household with no cuts to service and more money for social care. This is despite the Council having to ask Council Tax payers to fund 79 per cent of the cost of its services because the amount of grant support it gets from Government is the lowest per head in the country for County Councils.  It also delivers services from a Council which is one of only three in the country to earn the coveted performing excellently status.

The County Council has also set aside funds to triple the number of salt bins to 6,000 and to build extra salt barns to store more salt as part of its plans to increase resilience for future severe winters.

The Government will be providing just £146.8 million out of the proposed £672.1 million budget (excluding schools). This represents 22% of the councils funding for essential services such as care for the old and vulnerable, highways maintenance, disposing of household waste and support for children and families.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

CLLR MR T BOWDEN - Reported that he has done some investigating and confirmed that there was a Parkhouse Close many years ago but is now all part of Parkhouse Rd. Cllr Mr Bowden reported that the Street Light covered in ivy in Hedges Close is faulty again. The Clerk will report this.

CLLR MR D DAVIES - Reported that the water level in the Bourne has risen but the ground water levels are dropping, the situation is constantly being monitored.

Cllr Mr Davies reported that the minutes on the Web Site have not been updated since September 2009. The Clerk apologised and will update them over the next few days.

Cllr Mrs Naish felt that the web site needed to be updated as it contained some out of date information on many of the Village Organisations. The Chairman stated that the web site can only be updated if information is sent to the web master, this was noted.

Cllr Mr Davies suggested that the Notice Board by the Bus Shelter on the High Street needs replacing, it does look tatty. The Clerk reported that the Village Carpenter at the Fairground Craft Centre at Weyhill has made some decent Notice Boards for other Parish Councils at a reasonable price of £295, he will take a picture and bring it to the next meeting.

Cllr Mr Davies asked if the glass in the Bus Shelter will be replaced? The Clerk stated that this will be done early in the new financial year.

CLLR MR S BLUFF - Reported that he now has three quotes for the upgrading of Footpath 5, the next stage is securing funding. This was discussed at great length. Cllr Mrs P West reported that there is money in the Safer Route to Schools Scheme and that she will contact them regarding funding and liaise with the Chairman and Cllr Mr Bluff.

Cllr Mr Bluff reported that he has taken on the role of Village Neighbourhood Watch (NHW) Co-ordinator and is looking to recruit co-ordinators through out the village. The Clerk was asked to add this to the Agenda for the next meeting.

Cllr Mr Bladen reported that Bulford Road need some new NHW signs. Cllr Mr Bluff noted this.

CLLR MR M BLADEN - Reported that the Village Centre car park gate was locked the other morning and caused havoc at drop off time for the school. It was reported that the Village Centre are insisting that the car park gate is locked after use and there have been a few teething problems getting back into a routine. The School caretaker will unlock and lock the gate at the appropriate times in the future.

Cllr Mr Bladen reported that there is a large pot hole at the junction of Watery lane and Bulford Road. The Clerk will report this to Highways.

Cllr Mr Bladen asked if there was any news on the repairs to the pavement from the High Steet up Bulford road to the School? The Clerk will enquire but has been told that planned work has been delayed due to the work needed to repair pot holes in the County.

Cllr Mr Bladen asked if the Parish Council had been informed of any planned work on Bulford Road to clear up the aftermath of the diesel spill? The road is breaking up and the grass verges are dying, the recent rain is bringing the diesel out of the road. The Parish Council have not been informed. Cllr Mrs P West stated that she will speak to Highways the following morning and report back to the Chairman. It was suggested that Environmental Health are also contacted at TVBC.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC

There were no issues raised by the Members of the Public.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN MARCH 2010

TVBC Dog Bin emptying £286.56

SBVC Hire of Room £10.00

Shipton Bellinger Pre School Grant £1000.00

R.N. Waterman Wages £312.50

CLOSE OF THE MEETING

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

19th April 2009 in the Village Centre at 7.30pm