Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 5th October 2009 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs G Naish - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mrs S Turner

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr M Udale

Cllr Mr M Bladen

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr S Bluff

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

PCSO Rachel Cassells and PC R Kitson

Mr C Atkinson - Shipton Allotment Society.

Mr G Measurers and Mr D Sperry - Chairman and Vice Chairman Village Centre

Members of the Public - 1

Apologies : County Councillor Mrs P West and Borough Councillors Mr P Lashbrook and

Mrs E Charnley.

WELCOME. The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

CHAIRMANS STATEMENT.

The chairman began the meeting with the following statement:

The Parish Council have been in dialogue with the Village Centre regarding a grant. After meeting with them in July both parties agreed to talk to their respective committees or in our case councillors. As the PC does not meet in August we met informally to discuss the content of the meeting. It has come to PCs attention that we didnt mention this at our September PC meeting and perhaps we should have. Nothing was agreed or decided upon with regards to money but rather the way to proceed.

POLICE REPORT

The Chairman welcomed PCSO Rachel Cassells and PC R Kitson to the meeting.

PCSO Rachel Cassells reported that she is based in Stockbridge and spoke about her role as the Police Community Support Officer for the village, she hopes to build up a good rapport with the village and will be visiting Shipton Bellinger as often as her shift pattern allows, but at least once a week. An additional PCSO will be joining the Stockbridge Police Station in few weeks.

PCSO Rachel Cassells spoke about her job and powers as a PCSO, these differ to a Police Constable and included :-

1. Issuing fixed penalty tickets covering a wide variety of offences.

2. Working with the Test Valley Neighbourhood Wardens.

3. Working with the schools including training on internet safety.

4. Confiscating alcohol from underage drinkers.

5. Entering property in the case of emergency to save life or limb

6. Traffic Control in the case of an emergency etc

PCSO Rachel Cassells reported that she will be looking at the community and working to tackle vandalism and minor public order incidents.

Shipton Bellinger has been very quite over the summer and has had a low level of crime of late, however there has been a problem with milk bottle thefts.

Speeding vehicles in the village was raised, especially at school drop off and pick up times. This is a matter for traffic and Rachel said she will report it to PC Williams, her Beat Manager. Cllr Mr M Udale reported that the MOD Police are also aware of the problem of speeding in the village.

Cllr Mr G Richardson asked if anything was being done about Motor Bikes using the tracks and paths around the village? PCSO Rachel Cassells reported that the Police are working with the MOD on this issue, unwritten permission from the MOD has been given for the oval at the bottom of the Ski Slope to be used, it is hoped that this will contain the activity to one area and is being monitored.

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow raised the issue of a car parking in front of the Electricity Sub Station in the High Street and asked if this was illegal as it was blocking access. PC Kitson stated that no action can be taken unless a complaint about blocking access comes from the Electricity Company.

The Chairman thanked Rachel and PC Kitson for coming to the meeting and for doing such a good job.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow declared an interest in Footpath 5, Flooding and the Allotments.

Cllr Mrs G Naish declared an interest in Footpath 5 and Flooding.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in Footpath 5 and the Allotments

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest in the Village Centre

Cllr Mr M Bladen declared an interest in Watery Lane/ Bulford Road.

Cllr Mr D Davies - PC Village Centre Representative.

VILLAGE CENTRE

Cllr Mr D Davies reported that he had attended the Village Centre Management Committee meeting. The funding of the Village Centre was discussed at great length, Mr Mike England, the Treasurer felt that his job was in question over the cut in funding by the Parish Council and felt that he had to resign. Cllr Mr Davis assured him that this was not the case and that the Parish Council thought the Management Committee did a fantastic job, there was no question at all as to his abilities it was purely a financial decision to cut the funding.

The Village Centre Committee discussed the way forward and have put forward a Business Plan as requested. The Parish Councillors have all received a copy. The Village Centre Chairman and Vice Chairman will be reviewing the Football Hiring fees. There are vacancies on the 200 Club and any one interested should contact Mrs R Flowers.

The Scorpion Band are performing at the Village Centre on the 23rd October 2009.

The Chairman thanked the Village Centre for providing their budget as requested, the Parish Council will look at the figures, a further meeting will be held with the Village Centre to discuss the budget, before a decision is made for the grant to be included in the precept.

Cllr Mr S Bluff asked if a soft copy was available? Mr D Sperry did not see the need for an electronic copy as he believed the Clerk has provided each Councillor with a hard copy.

 

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

GRASS CUTTING - Grass Cutting at the top of Bulford Road was discussed. Mr Wareham is still cutting the grass, there seems some confusion as to what is happening with the grass cutting in the village. The Clerk was asked to contact Highways and Test Valley to get a schedule for grass cutting in the village.

The Parish Council then discussed hedge cutting, weeds in the gutters and the state of the roads. The general feeling was that the parish is not receiving the service expected from the Borough and County Councils. The Parish Council felt that this needed to be addressed and will be contacting the relevant councils on this matter.

FOOTPATH 5 - The Chairman reported that she will be meeting with Cllr Mr Bluff and Cllr Mr Richardson to hand over the Footpath 5 project. An additional two quotes are needed to put forward for funding.

BOOT INN SANDWICH BOARD - The Chairman and Vice Chairman went to see Mr Lee Turland, Landlord of the Boot Inn, about his Sandwich Board on the village green. The Parish Council have now received a letter from Mr Turland asking for permission to site his sandwich board on the village green.

The Parish Council discussed this, feelings were mixed. The Chairman asked the Councillors to vote for or against giving permission. 8 agreed and 2 were against. It was agreed that permission would be given with the following conditions :-

The Board must not obstruct sight lines up and down the A338

The Board bust be positioned under the Street Sign and Chained in position

The Board can only be sited on the village Green on a Sunday.

OVERGROWN TREE ON THE HIGH STREET - Cllr Mrs Naish reported that she has still not been able to make contact with the Householder regarding cutting back the tree. When contact is made the offer to prune back the tree will be made.

Cllr Mr Bluff reported that the hedge outside 40 kingfishers is overgrowing the walkway leading to Footpath 5. It was felt that a quiet word with the householder was in order.

QUEENS GARDEN PARTY - The Chairman had asked the Parish Councillors for nominations for the Queens Garden Party. One name received three nominations and this person will be put forward.

DEBRIS UNDER SNODDINGTON ROAD BRIDGE - Cllr Mr D Davies reported that he has reported the debris under the Snoddington Road bridge to Katy Jay at the Environment Agency. Katy Jay is looking into Riparian ownership. Cllr Mrs Naish was concerned about this and the possibility of water backing up in the village and suggested that the owners of Snoddington Manor be contacted to see if they are aware there is debris under the bridge.

PLANNING - There were no new Planning Applications to discuss.

 

 

VILLAGE GREEN.

The Chairman suggested that the Parish Council pay for a green bag from Test Valley Borough Council for the grass cuttings from the village green. Mr Boxall has to dispose of the cuttings and it would be easier for him if they were collected. The Parish Council thought this a good idea and agreed to purchase a Green Bag.

The Chairman reported that Mr John Tidy has had work carried out to the trees on the Village Green as they were getting to large and encroaching on his property, these belong to the Parish Council. One of the tree roots is growing under the fence and may damage his foundations. The Tree surgeon has suggested that the tree is felled in the future.

The Clerk confirmed that the Parish Council contributed to the cost, last time work was needed on these trees. The Parish Council discussed this and agreed to pay half of the bill for the recent work that has been done. The Parish Council also agreed that quotes to remove the tree will be sort and the cost worked into the 2010/2011 precept. The Clerk was asked to liaise with Mr Tidy on this matter.

ASTROTURF.

The Shipton Bellinger Rams Football Club have put forward proposals for installing Multisport Astroturf on the Play Courts. The Parish Councillors were all given a copy of the proposal and a copy has been given to the Village Centre Chairman. The Parish Council briefly discussed the proposal, questions on ongoing costs for maintenance and replacement were voiced.

PARISH COUNCILLORS REPORTS.

CLLR MRS G NAISH - Reported on the Test Valley Association of Parish Council Meeting that she attended in September. Cllr Mrs Naish is now the TVAPC representative on the Hampshire Association of Town Councils - Her report is attached to theses minutes.

CLLR MR M UDALE - Reported that he moved on some youngsters who were riding bikes and using Skateboards in the Play Courts as there is a notice stating that this is not allowed. The Parish Council discussed this and thought that it could be suggested to the Village Centre that the sign be taken down as it was felt that it is safer for children to use the play courts rather than the Village Centre car park. Cllr Mr Davies will raise it at the next VC Meeting.

Cllr Mr Udale thought that flood lighting for the Play Courts was mentioned when the Astroturf was first discussed, this has not been mentioned again and he wondered if the idea had been dropped.

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that the Shipton Rams have temporarily sorted out the problem with parking at Saturday Football matches. Chris Tait is allowing cars to park in his field next to the Playing Field.

CLLR MR G RICHARDSON - Stated that as most of the Councillors were aware he is being investigated by the Standards Board for breaking the Code of Conduct, after they received a complaint from our County Councillor and one of our Borough Councillors on the comments he made in his email regarding the presentation from Mr R Alborough at the AGM.

 

 

Cllr Mr Richardson has received a letter from the Standard Boards Solicitor stating that he has finished collecting information and he would like to interview him. Cllr Mr Richardson asked if any of the Parish Councillors had been approached for a statement. None of the Parish Councillors had been approached by anyone on this matter.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN OCTOBER 2009

Mr B Pearce Grass Cutting 100.00

SBVC Hire of Rooms 10.00

SBVC Year Grant 1375.00

R.N. Waterman Wages and expenses 348.20

Audit Commission Audit Fee 155.25

CLOSE OF THE MEETING

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

2nd November 2009 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.