Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council meeting held on Monday 2nd March 2009 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs G Naish - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs S Turner

Cllr Mr M Bladen

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Borough Councillor Mrs E Charnley

County Councillor Mrs P West

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Members of the Public - 9

Apologies : Cllr Mr G Richardson, Cllr Mr M Udale, Cllr Mr D Davies, Cllr Mrs R Tetlow and

Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook.

WELCOME. The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS.

Cllr Mrs G Naish declared an interest in Footpath 5 and Flooding.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in the Pre-School.

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest in the Village Centre.

Cllr Mr m Bladen declared an interest in Watery Lane and the School Travel Plan.

VILLAGE CENTRE - There was no report from the Village Centre.

SHIPTON RAMS - The Chairman reported that she had attended a presentation event at the Shipton Bellinger Working Mans Club for the Shipton Rams. They have been given Chartership to the FA. The Chairman had a long chat with the coaches and admin manager of the Rams at the presentation and the issue of pitch marking and Astro Turf was discussed. The Shipton Rams are willing to supply the line paint and mark the pitch if they could use the Line Marker, Tim will speak to Gordon Measures to see if something can be worked out.

Tim reported that the Shipton Rams are going from strength to strength, there teams representing various age groups, with about 100 youngsters involved. Tim spoke about the idea of replicating the Tidworth Training facility in Shipton Bellinger. At present Monday night training is held in the Village Centre, if the Play Courts had Astro Turf and Flood Lighting training could move outside. The Shipton Rams would look to funding and hope to get grant aid towards the project.

The Chairman reported that she has asked Tim to put a proposal together on their plans for the Play Courts to present to the Parish Council.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

PARISH COUNCIL VACANCY - The Clerk has received the official notification from Test Valley Borough Council and will be advertising the position shortly.

ROAD ISSUES - The Clerk reported that Mr R Alborough from Test Valley wished to meet again with the Parish Council to discuss the A338 and Watery Lane. The Clerk has suggested that Mr Alborough be asked to give a presentation at the AGM on the 11th May. This was thought a good idea, the Clerk is waiting for Mr Alborough to confirm.

This was discussed and it was suggested that Watery Lane, Bulford Road and the A338 be put on the agenda for the April meeting, this will give the Parish Council a chance to review the position and another chance for residents in Bulford Road to add any further comments before the meeting with Mr Alborough.

The Parish Council have confirmed in writing to Mr Alborough that they would like to go ahead with the extension to the speed limit and that Watery Lane should be an independent issue.

RIVER MATTERS - Cllr Mr D Davies the Shipton Bellinger Flood Warden has reported that the river levels peaked on the 21st February and are slowly dropping again, the Village has been on ‘Flood Watch’ alert for several weeks. The ground water level readings are average for this time of year and are being constantly monitored.

The Chairman spoke about digging out the river bed under the bridges in the village, an issue that was raised with the Environment Agency, the danger of digging down to much is that it may disturb the aquifer and cause a problem. The Environment Agency have said the earliest they could look at this issue would be in the Autumn.

Mrs C Estlick reported that the field adjacent to Watery Lane and Footpath 14 was flooded one day, on closer inspection the water flow in the river had risen and was quite dirty, water levels had dropped some time later. Mrs Estlick though that this had been caused by additional water being released in to the Bourne further up stream, it seems that there is no concern of what problems this may cause further down stream.

The Parish Council discussed this and general consensus was the additional water had been released from the sewage works at Tidworth. The releasing of water in to Bourne from the Sewage Works had been raised many years ago and needed addressing again, the Clerk reported that at the time regular tests on the water quality were taken by the Rivers Authority, the Chairman will speak to our Flood Warden on these issues.

BOURNE VALLEY LINEAR PARK - The Chairman reported that she has received an email from the BVLP.

To provide all residents from Shipton Bellinger with a safe walking and cycling route from the village into Tidworth. Two routes were considered :-

1. Use the existing road leading NE from the village to the A338 and then establish a new path running beside it into Tidworth. This could eventually merge with the footpath to be provided within the area 19 development (North of the Cricket Ground) leading into Tidworth. Irrespective of any land issues, challenges would also be posed by the need to work with both Wiltshire and Hampshire County Councils and the requirement to establish a foot crossing on to the Eastern side of the A338 at the same point.

2. Use the existing bridle way running North from the village, crossing the wooded cross belt feature to Home Farm and then onto Tidworth.

Whilst it was agreed that DTE would be the prepared to consider the implications of establishing a route beside the A338, it was not seen as the best solution. The Bridle Way offered the safest, most attractive and least expensive option. Access through Home Farm to provide the essential link onto Humber Lane and then thence to Tidworth would not present any difficulties for DTE consequently, its proposed use and association with the Bridle Way was noted.

The Chairman reported that work on Echo Echo is due to start in August 2009.

BONFIRE/FIREWORKS - The Chairman reported that she has spoken to Mr C Tait about using the field next to the Village Playing Field for the Fireworks and Bonfire. Mr Tait is willing to help and if his Planting programme for 2010 allows the field can be used, if not he was sure he could find another venue in the village. The Parish Council thought this excellent news.

FOOTPATH 5 - The Chairman reported that she has still not made any progress on the issues with Footpath 5.

NOTICE BOARD - The Clerk reported that it will not be possible to put a Notice Board on the Bus Shelter in the High Street due to sight lines. The Chairman reported that she has spoken to Brian Boxall and he is looking at several alternatives to convert the existing Notice Board, the most cost effective would be to have no cover and to pin laminated notices up.

SCHOOL TRAVEL PLAN - The Chairman reported that she had spoken to Linda Barrett and the School Travel Plan has been approved by Hampshire County Council. The School Travel Plan Team would like to come to a future Parish Council Meeting to give a full report. The state of the pavement between the High Street Junction and the School has been reported to Hampshire Highways, there are many pot holes that need repairing.

DATE OF THE AGM - The date of the AGM has been brought forward to the 11th May 2009.

COUNTY COUNCILLOR MRS P WEST’S REPORT.

Cllr Mrs P West reported that the new Hampshire Waste Recycling Centre, located in Scott Close on the Walworth Industrial Estate, offers a much improved service for Andover residents

It features a modern split-level design which allows the centre to stay open while bins are emptied, eliminating the queues that this caused at the old site. For busier periods there is also space onsite to prevent vehicles queuing on the road outside the entrance. In addition, more room for recycling containers and extra parking spaces means that the site will be quicker and easier for local residents to use.

The new Andover HWRC can accept the following for recycling : bulky household items (such as fridges and washing machines), green garden waste, cardboard, glass bottles and jars, metal - ferrous and non-ferrous, soil and rubble, food and drink cans, household furniture, bric-a-brac, hazardous household equipment , household batteries, waste electrical or electronic equipment , fluorescent light tubes and bulbs, textiles, wood, used engine oil, car batteries and in addition cement bonded asbestos, which must be booked in advance.

Cllr Mrs West reported that there is to be an Older Peoples Forum on the 31st march 2009 in the Guild Hall in Andover from 2-4pm.The Hampshire County Council portion of the Council Tax bill is to rise by 1.9% - the lowest rise for 40 years! Hampshire County Council are running a rolling programme over the next three years to reduce speed limits on the Counties roads.

Cllr Mrs West reported she thought the Parish Council should be aware that Mr and Mrs Miller, while out walking the Parish paths were challenged by a Game Keeper. This was noted.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

CLLR MRS R TETLOW - Asked for the Clerk to bring up the following issues :-

1. It has been suggested that yellow lines be placed on the corner by the Village Centre, a recent Saturday Morning Football Event caused chaos with cars parked on the corner and across pavements. This had been reported to the Police.

2. Cold Calling - Cllr Mrs Tetlow and Mrs Winfield are organising an event in April with Trading Standards who will give a presentation to the Over 60’s.

3. Allotments - The Clerk reported that he has been on to Hampshire County Council again about the issue of Allotments, they have not yet got back to him on this matter.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC.

Mrs R Flowers stated that she was surprised to read that the Parish Council had put £2000 into the precept to purchase Flashing Speed Signs as she thought this would have been the responsibility of Hampshire County Council to supply them.

The Clerk explained that Flashing speed signs have been discussed for several years, Hampshire County Council took the decision not to provide Flashing Speed Signs on their roads, unlike Wiltshire County.

The opportunity to purchase the Signs arose and share the cost with three other parishes, the increase in traffic on the A338 and the concerns about speed on this road from parishioners, the Parish Council felt the timing was right.

The Parish Council have put £2000 into the budget for 2009/2010, this will cover a one off payment to purchase the equipment, potential installation costs if new posts are needed and a years maintenance. In future years the cost to the Parish Council should be in the region of £300 for the Maintenance. The life for the Speed Signs is 10-15 years.

The concern of some residents about speeding within the village and in particular the High Street and Bulford Road was raised. The Flashing Speed signs will be in the village for two weeks every eight weeks. As they are portable they can be placed in the High Street, Bulford Road or any area that there is a speeding problem.

SARUM CLOSE STREET LIGHTING.

Cllr Mr Udale raised the issue of the lack of street lighting in Sarum Close. The Clerk reported that some years ago this was looked into and it had hoped to add an additional street light. Quotes were obtained from Hampshire County Council and the cost was prohibitive due to all wires having to be underground. The Ground work needed ran into thousands of pounds. The Clerk will look back through the minutes for the exact figures quoted at the time.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN MARCH 2009

TVBC Dog Bin Emptying £278.07

R.N. Waterman Wages £250.00

SBVC Hire of Room/Grant Balance £ 58.68

Fleet Line Markers Paint for Line Marker £125.24

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.

6th April 2009 in the Village Centre at 7.30pm