Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday the January 2009 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs G Naish - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mrs S Turner

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr M Udale

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr M Bladen

County Councillor Mrs P West

Sir George Young MP

Borough Councillor Mrs E Charnley

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Members of the Public - 20

Mr Nick Reed - Environment Agency

Apologies : Cllr Mrs J Measures, Mr G Measurers - Chairman Village Centre and Borough

Councillor Mr P Lashbrook.

WELCOME. The Chairman wished everyone a Happy New Year and welcomed all to the first meeting of 2009.

MINUTES OF THE DECEMBER MEETING.

The Chairman stated that the minutes of the December Meeting will be signed and discussed at the February Meeting. Items that need to be addressed from those minutes :-

2009/2010 PRECEPT - The Chairman asked if the Parish Councillors have had any further thoughts on the precept discussed at the December meeting? The Parish Council were happy with their decisions. Cllr Mrs Tetlow proposed that the 2009/2010 Precept be set at 20,000 as discussed at the December Meeting, this was seconded by Cllr Mrs Naish. All agreed.

A338 - The Clerk has received an email from Mr Ray Alborough regarding Watery Lane. Mr Alborough will attend another Parish Council Meeting to discuss the proposals further. The proposals for Watery Lane will be put on hold for the time being.

The Chairman reported that a pipe had burst on one of the cattle troughs in the field on the opposite side of the A338 during the cold weather. The water was running under the A338 and down Watery Lane, causing black ice. The water was turned off and the Police were informed.

CHRISTMAS TREES - The Chairman thanked everyone who helped decorate the Christmas Trees, they were a great success, lots of good feedback was received. A great Community project and one that will be repeated this Christmas.

PLAY COURTS - The Chairman reported that the Play Courts will be painted on the January 14th.

VILLAGE GREEN - Cllr Mrs West reported that the order to re-turf the Village Green is going through the system and it should be done soon. Mr Brian Boxall stated that once the Village Green has been reinstated he will keep the grass cut.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS.

CLLR MR T BOWDEN - Reported that Highways have been in the village sucking out and clearing the road drains, Cllr Mr Bowden asked if they would also do the drains on the pavement? Unfortunately they are not allowed to touch the drains on the pavement as this is they are the responsibility of the District Council and there are insurance implications.

The Clerk was asked to contact Test Valley Borough Council to ask them to clear out the drains on the pavements. The Clerk was also asked to contact Highways to remind them of the outstanding work on the High Street out side Glebe Cottage.

The Parish Council briefly discussed gritting during the recent cold weather and it was suggested that salt bins be placed in strategic points in the village.

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that she has written to Cholderton Water about the stop cock on Footpath 5. The issue of the broken fence is still being pursued.

PRESENTATION FROM THE ENVIRONMENT AGENCY ON FLOODING

The Chairman introduced Mr Nick Reed from the Environment Agency Flood Incident Management Team. The Flood Team had been in the village talking to residents about riparian responsibilities regarding the river banks.

Mr Reed gave a presentation on the role of the Environment Agency on the issue of flooding - Please see attached print out. This was followed by questions from the floor.

Questions from the floor covered the following issues :-

1. Monitoring ground water levels Mr Reed stated that specialist measuring devices have

been put in bore holes which monitor the level every 15 minutes and the data is sent to

Exeter where it is processed to give accurate readings.

2. The various bridges in the village hold back the flow of water, the one in Watery lane sends

water down Bulford Road and into the High Street. Why is something not done about the

bridges?

3. The lack of clearing of the river bed further down stream is of concern.

4. Residents have concerns about the increase in the cost of Home Insurance regarding the

risk of Flooding statistics data held by Insurance Companies.

5. The Electricity Sub Station in the High Street was raised and the lack of urgency from the

Electricity Company to protect it from Flood Water.

6. The extra drainage system that was put in the High Street was discussed and several issues

raised about how ineffective it would be in a flood, the road drains are above the level of

the road.

7. It was felt that water released further up stream only adds to the flooding problems in

Shipton Bellinger, is this water released under a controlled system?

8. Maintenance of road gullies and ditches was raised.

9. Will the proposed large scale development at Tidworth have an effect on the villages

flooding problems?

Mr Reed answered these questions to the best of his knowledge and would pass the issues raised to the relevant Departments at the Environment Agency.

Sir George Young stated that he will also take the points raised to a Higher Level at the MOD and the Environment Agency to try and get some answers. Sir George Young asked the Chairman to email him with the points raised.

The Chairman thanked Mr Reed for coming and giving his presentation and summarized the points raised :-

To ensure the responsibilities that go with riparian ownership is enforced. In particular north of the village as the Bourne passes along Watery Lane, then south of the village as the river enters land owned by the Cholderton Estate. Residents are concerned that if the river is not kept cleared and in good condition in these particular places these will lead to problems in the village.

To ensure bridge areas are kept clear. In particular the bridges in Watery lane and to the south of the village. The bridges off the High Street spanning the Bourne are of varying heights and all need the river bed to be deepened under them allow flow of water.

To ensure proper liaison with all the authorities. Because the village is on the Hampshire Wiltshire border it is vital that all local authorities are kept in the loop. The water companies are also different Cholderton Water, Wessex Water and Southern Water. Southern Electric also need to be kept in the loop.

INSURANCE. It is of concern that that some insurance companies are putting a blanket cover on the Village Post Code that assumes that every property is at risk of flooding. Up to date maps need to be provided to the insurance industry backed up with data from the Environment Agency.

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

2nd February 2009 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm