Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 1st December 2008 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs G Naish - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mrs J Measures

Cllr Mrs S Turner

Cllr Mr M Bladen

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Mr G Measures - Village Centre Chairman

Members of the Public - 3

Apologies : Cllr Mr M Udale, County Councillor Mrs P West and Borough Councillors Mr P

Lashbrook and Mrs E Charnley.

WELCOME. The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS.

Cllr Mrs Naish declared an interest in Footpath 5 and Flooding.

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow declared an interest in Footpath 5 and Flooding.

Cllr Mrs J Measures declared an interest in the Village Centre.

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest in the Village Centre.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in the Pre-School.

Cllr Mr M Bladen declared an interest in Watery Lane.

VILLAGE CENTRE

Mr Measures reported that at a recent Village Centre Management Committee Meeting the budget was discussed and this was presented to the Parish Council. Mr Measures reported that the No Smoking signs have been put up in the Foyer and the back of the Youth Shelter has been designated a smoking area. The Christmas decorations have been put up in the Hall and the foyer.

Mr Measures reported that the Village Centre are responsible for the Village News, the cost of producing the Village News has gone up resulting in a £30 each issue, a total of £180 a year. This was noted,

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow asked that her statement on meetings be altered to read :- Cllr Mrs Tetlow asked that a time limit be put on the Parish Council meetings, she felt that 9.30pm was long enough, if necessary an extra meeting arranged to discuss agenda items not covered. The Parish Council agreed, however it does depend on the items that need to be discussed.

The Chairman then signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

CHRISTMAS TREES - The Chairman reported that she had written to several companies asking if they would be able to donate any decorations for the village Christmas Trees. Homebase did not reply and The Range had unfortunately used their allocation for donations. Tesco Tidworth

Will see what they can do and through Cllr Mr Bladen and his wife Woolworths have donated the window decorations from last year. Cllr Mrs Naish has also been receiving decorations from the village.

The Chairman reported that the school children are making decorations from old CDís and Fir Cones and that a kind resident has been out and bought some decorations for the trees. Cllr Mr T Bowden will donate a tree for the Village Green and it was agreed that the trees will be decorated on Saturday 13th December, meeting at 10am.

BONFIRE/FIREWORKS - Cllr Miss Reynolds and Cllr Mrs Naish went with the Clerk to see how the Hurstbourne Priors Bonfire/Fireworks Party was set up. Cllr Miss Reynolds reported that she went in the evening with her daughter to watch the display and was very impressed. The Clerk reported that the event made a profit of £1100 this year.

The Parish Council discussed putting on a Firework display and agreed in principle. Finding a site to hold the event will be the next task. The Chairman reported that she has received offers of help from people in the village who have expertise in fireworks.

FLOODING MATTERS - Cllr Mr D Davies reported that the Environmental Agency will attend the January Meeting to discuss flooding and River matters. The Chairman reported that she had written to Sir George Young and asked him if he would attend the meeting. Sir George Young has said he will be happy to attend the meeting.

Cllr Mr Davies reported that Katie Jay and James Hope from the Environment Agency will be in the village during the day to set up display boards and will do a letter drop. It was agreed to hold the meeting in the Fletcher Room, the meeting will be moved to the main hall if more space is needed.

PLAY COURTS - The Chairman reported that she has managed to get the paint for the Play Courts, unfortunately it has come in two colours, grey and green. The Chairman has contacted the MOD and PC Williams, who may have another Youth Offender to help. A date to do the work will have to be agreed.

QUEENS GARDEN PARTY - The Chairman has sent the nominations to the Lord Lieutenants Office.

FOOTPATH 5 - The Chairman reported that she is making progress with finding out who owns the land with the offending broken fence bordering footpath 5 .

SPEEDING IN THE VILLAGE - Cllr Mr M Udale has spoken to the MOD Police and the Police about speeding through the village, a joint attack on speeding motorists will be undertaken.

The Parish Council thought this excellent news.

PLANNING. There were no planning applications to discuss.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS.

CLLR MR T BOWDEN - Reported that Highways have repaired the holes in the A338 and have cleared some but not all of the road gullies.

CLLR MRS G NAISH - Reported that she met with the insurance underwriter to discuss insuring her property and after his investigation her Insurance Company have now agreed to insure the property. This is good news for any future purchaser.

Cllr Mrs Naish reported that she had attended the T.V.A.P.C. meeting in Kings Somborne, the minutes will be distributed in due course.

CLLR MRS R TETLOW - Reported that the puddles in ďSamísĒ car park have not yet been sorted out, the Car Park belongs to Testway Housing. The Clerk was asked to write to Testway Housing again about this matter.

The Chairman suggested that residents also contacted Testway Housing about the puddles.

CLLR MR M BLADEN - Declared an interest in Watery Lane being a resident of Bulford Road.

Cllr Mr Bladen gave a brief history of proceedings since the June presentation from Mr R Alborough to the letter residents have received from Mr Alborough in November about the proposals to make Watery Lane one way. Cllr Mr Bladen has liased with the Residents of Bulford Road and spoke about their concerns.

1. Turning right into Bulford Road is not much safer than turning into Watery Lane - the quantity of accidents is proportionate to traffic volumes, so we should also be considering closing off the top of Bulford Rd, creating a cul de sac, with all traffic coming into the High Street off a roundabout on the A338.

2. With an increase of 359 vehicles coming into Bulford Road residents are concerned about being able to get off / on their drives

3. Turning right out of Bulford Road will become impossible in the morning and at 3pm due to incoming traffic from Tidworth

4. Bulford Road is not full width (single track)

5. As some cars have to park on the road (and especially during floods) nobody is going to be able to move up or down the road

6. Grass verges are already damaged with cars manoeuvring around parked vehicles which residents have to repair

7. Even with today's quantity of traffic cars are damaged (father- in- laws door mirror smashed off)

8. A third of the road doesn't have a foot path - eg up to the bus stop

9. Children have to be walked to school on the road

10. If Watery Lane was one-way cars would race down there, safe in the knowledge that

they wouldn't meet any traffic

11. On the school travel plan Bulford Road is marked as a set down spot for the walking

bus, bringing more mayhem

12. Watery Lane is preferred by some as the safer entry / exit point due to having the best

visibility

13. There is little respect at the moment for the speed limit on Bulford Road as there is no

traffic calming devices

14. Quality of life and house prices will be effected due to more danger, damage and

noise

15. Everybody seems to agree that: a filter lane into watery lane is the best option.

The parish Council all agreed that this should be put on hold until Residents of Bulford Road are happy with proposals and the provision of a Feeder Lane is thoroughly investigated. The extension of the speed limit should proceed. The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Alborough.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC.

There were no issues raised by the members of the public.

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming, wished everyone a Happy Christmas and closed the meeting.

PRECEPT.

The Parish Council then discussed the 2009/2010 Precept in a closed meeting. The Clerk produced a financial report showing the Estimated Results for the year ending 31/3/2009 and the budget for the year 2009/2010. Each item was discussed, the usual running expenses for the village, grass cutting, street lighting etc were agreed.

Individual items discussed included :-

LITTER COLLECTING - It was agreed that the Litter Collectors wages will be increased to £1600.

CLERKS WAGES - The Clerk left the room. The Parish Council agreed to increase the Clerks wages to £3750 a year. This will be reviewed again in December 2009.

PRE-SCHOOL - The Chairman declared an interest and left the room. The Parish Council discussed at length the giving of a grant to the Pre-school. It was agreed that a grant of £1000 will be given to the Pre-school towards their building project.

FLASHING SPEED SIGNS - The Parish Council all agreed to put £2000 into the budget for flashing speed signs. Flashing speed signs have been discussed for several years and it was felt that now the opportunity to share the cost with three other parishes, and the increase in traffic on the A338 , the timing was right.

It was noted that in future years only the maintenance cost will need to be budgeted for, approximately £400.

VILLAGE CENTRE - Cllr Mrs J Measures and Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest and left the room. The Parish Council discussed the Village Centre Budget that had been presented and noted the request for £5000 for the year 2009/2010.

After a lengthy discussion it was agreed that due to other commitments and projects that needed funding the Village Centre Grant would be cut from £5000 to £2750.

This decision was not taken lightly but it was felt that the Village Centre had substantial reserves to see them through any crisis. The Parish Council felt that the maintenance figure in the Village Centre budget for the Playing Field and the surrounding area was excessive.

VILLAGE MAINTENANCE FUND - The Parish Council agreed to start a Village Maintenance Fund with £1000.

After further discussion the Parish Councillors all agreed on the precept. The decision was taken to increase the Precept by £2500. The Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Precept for 2009/2010 will be set at £20,000.

The Chairman thanked the Parish Councillors and asked Mr Gordon Measures to re-join the meeting so that she could explain the Parish Councilís decision on the Village Centre Grant.

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.