Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 3rd November 2008 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs G Naish - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mrs J Measures

Cllr Mrs S Turner

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Cllr Mr M Bladen

Cllr Mr M Udale

County Councillor Mrs P West

Borough Councillor Mrs E Charnley

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Mr G Measures - Village Centre Chairman

Members of the Public - 6

Apologies : Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook.

WELCOME. The chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS.

Cllr Mrs Naish declared an interest in Footpath 5 and Flooding.

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow declared an interest in Footpath 5 and Flooding.

Cllr Mrs J Measures declared an interest in the Village Centre.

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest in the Village Centre.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in the Pre-School.

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Mr Measures reported that the Village Centre has not had a problem with vandalism for several months. The Play Area swing has been repaired and the extension of the stage is nearly complete. Mr Measures reported that he has permission from the Fire Inspector to replace the Fire Door from the Fletcher Room with a double glazed unit, a key in a box will have to be provided.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING. The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

A338 HEDGE - Mr Tait has removed the section of hedge at the top of Bulford Road and replaced it with a fence, this has greatly improved the sight lines. The remaining hedge now needs cutting back as does the other side of the road, this will be pursued.

The Parish Council were asked by a resident of Church Meadows if they will be replacing the hedge, the removal of the hedge has greatly increased the traffic noise. The Chairman stated that at the moment there is no plan to plant a new hedge and explained the reasoning behind this, however this does not means the issue will not be looked at again in the future.

CRICKET NETS - The Chairman reported that there was no further news on the grant for the Cricket Nets. Richard Watson is still pursuing the matter. Cllr Mrs P West stated that she may be able to help with a grant if there is a short fall in funding.

CYCLE PATH - The Parish Council discussed the proposed provision of a cycle path alongside the A338 or upgrading Footpath 1, it was agreed that funding will be looked at and the various interested parties contacted to see if they would be in agreement. A village survey will then be carried out to see if a cycle path to Tidworth would be used. Cllr Mr Richardson reminded the Parish Council that Footpath 1 is a Bridle Way bound by rules of usage, this was noted.

The Chairman suggested that the Parish Council first concentrate on getting Footpath 5 improved and work with the Safer Route to School Group. The Parish Council agreed with this suggestion, the Chairman will contact the Safer Route to School Group to discuss the way forward.

CHRISTMAS TREES - The Chairman reported that it has been suggested that rather than buy decorations for the trees at the top of Bulford Road it may be nice to ask the School if the Children would make decorations and an event held to decorate the trees. The Parish Council thought this was a good idea, however concern as to the durability of home made decorations was raised. A member of the public suggested painted yogurt pots could be used.

The Parish Council also wished to take up Cllr Mr Bowden’s offer of a Christmas Tree for the Village Green.

PARISH COUNCIL VACANCY - The Chairman introduced Mr Mark Udale who has expressed an interest in becoming a Parish Councillor. The Parish Council all agreed to co-opt Mr Udale on to the Parish Council.

BONFIRE - Representatives of the Parish Council will visit the Hurstbourne Priors event on a fact finding mission and will report back to the Parish Council.

NOTICE BOARDS - The Clerk reported that he is investigating the price of Notice Boards and hopes to get a good price as he may be in the position to order a quantity as some of his other Parish Councils are considering replacing their Notice Boards.

PLANNING.

TVN.08/02355/FULLN - Erection of a pair of semi detached houses with parking - Land

adjacent to Phoenix Cottage, High Street, Shipton Bellinger.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTION to this Planning Application.

PRECEPT.

The Chairman reported that she has spoken with the Clerk and suggested that the Parish Council December Meeting agenda be kept to the minimum so that the meeting can be given over to discussing the precept. The Parish Council agreed.

DATES FOR THE 2009 MEETINGS

January 5th , February 2nd , March 2nd, April 6th, May 18th AGM, June 1st , July 6th ,

September 7th , October 5th , November 2nd, December 7th.

CLLR MRS P WEST’S REPORT.

Cllr Mrs west spoke about the recent announcement that Goodman’s, the applicant for the Megashed on the Airfield Site, has parted company with Tesco. Cllr Mrs West stated that this does not change anything the application will continue through the process.

Cllr Mrs West reported that Hampshire County Council and Southern Water have done a lot of work and investigation on the recent problems with flooding in Gardeners Green. The road drains in Hedges Close and Gardeners Green have been cleared, H.C.C. are investigating the drainage system and Southern Water are undertaking a survey on the sewage system as they are sure that surface water is entering the system.

Cllr Mrs West reported that Cllr Mr Lashbrook is working with the MOD as part of a road safety campaign to re-educate drivers coming back from War Zones on driving safely on the Uk’s roads. This caused some discussion from the Parish Council and mixed feelings on the scheme.

Cllr Mrs West reported that she is in discussion with the pre-school and hopes that a grant of up to 80% may be available towards their project. The Parish Council thought this excellent news.

Cllr Mrs West wished to publicly thank Cllr Mr Lashbrook and the MOD for their contribution in removing the hedge on the A338.

COUNCILLOR’S REPORTS.

CLLR MRS R TETLOW - Reported that one of the pains of glass in the Bus Shelter in the High Street has been broken. The clerk has contacted the Insurance Company for a claim form.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow reported that she too has had a large increase in her Buildings Insurance due to the flooding issue in the village, her insurance company has stated that it is down to the SP9 postcode being listed as liable to flooding.

Cllr Mrs Naish reported that she is still pursuing the matter of insurance, her insurers Norwich Union are sending their top man to look at the village. Sir George Young has been banging his head on a brick wall on this issue, he has not managed to make any progress and the insurance companies will not speak to him.

After some discussion on this issue Cllr Mrs Naish stated that she will carry out a survey in the High Street on the issue of insurance and see if residents have incurred an increase.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow asked that a time limit be put on the Parish Council meetings, she felt that 9.30pm was long enough. Cllr Mrs Tetlow felt that the meetings are too long and that we must take into consideration the time that both the Borough and County Councillors spend at our meetings. The Parish Council agreed, however it does depend on the items that need to be discussed.

CLLR MR D DAVIES - Reported that he had attended a Flood Wardens Seminar, various issues were discussed. James Hope from the Environment Agency has been in the village and walked the river bed through the village with Cllr Mr Davies. Cllr Mr Davies reported that the river bed is clear through the village and that there are no obstructions. A booklet “Living on the Edge” will be delivered to residents, this points out the responsibilities to homeowners regarding the river banks etc.

Cllr Mr Davies reported that the Environment Agency hope to come to the January Meeting to give a presentation on flooding and river issues. Cllr Mrs West suggested that Sir George Young be invited as this will link with the insurance matter that he is trying to resolve. The Parish Council thought this a good idea.

CLLR MRS J MEASURES - Reported that the Footpath Finger Post by the War Memorial will be erected soon by Mr Measures.

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that Footpath 17 has been cleared by the MOD. The paint for the Play Courts is still on going and she will chase the matter up. Cllr Mr Bowden reported that he has spoken to PC Williams and the matter is in hand.

The Chairman reported that she has received nominations for the Queens Garden Party and four names received 4 votes. Cllr Mrs P West suggested that all four names be put forward, The Chairman will write to the Lord Lieutenants Office.

CLLR MR G RICHARDSON - Reported that Footpath 5 at the Salisbury Road end is very overgrown and that there is a large section of fence down behind Manor Close. It was also reported that the water stop cock access point also needs looking at. The Chairman stated that she is on the case.

CLLR MRS NAISH - Reported that she will be attending the T.V.A.P.C. Meeting in Kings Sombourne on the 6th November if any one would like to go.

CORRESPONDENCE.

A letter has been received from Mr R Alborough from Test Valley Borough Council regarding the improvements on the A338 - Attached to these minutes.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC.

MRS V WINFIELD - Asked if anything could be done about the speeding in the High Street and Parkhouse Road. Cllr Mr Mark Udale said he would speak to the Police and Military Police about carrying out a speed check.

It was reported that the Street Light on the corner of Parkhouse Road and Hedges Close is on all day. The Clerk will report this to the Street Lighting Department.

MRS C ESTLICK - Reported that the huge drain at the bottom of the Tank Track is blocked again, the MOD did clear it in the summer but it has now filled up again with silt. The Clerk was asked to report this to the MOD.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN NOVEMBER 2008

SBVC Grant (£1000 still to pay) and Hire of Rooms £1524.00

Mr B Pearce Grass Cutting £75.00

R.N. Waterman Wages and Expenses £315.00

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.

1st December 2008 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

 

 

Richard,

Thank you for your letter dated 11 August, 2008. I apologise for not getting back to you sooner.I am pleased the Parish Council are in agreement with my short term proposals for the above junction to be limited to vehicular movements out of Watery Lane only. I propose to commence the Traffic Regulation Order works shortly, They will include :-

1. Making Watery Lane No Entry for vehicles from A338.

2. Extending the existing 40 MPH limit along A338 to a point north of Bulford Road and south of Watery Lane.

I understand there is another Parish Meeting this evening and I shall be grateful if you would pass on the contents of this letter to the Meeting.

Turning now to the specific concerns of the Parish I would comment as follows. The numbering system is as your letter.

1a. All highway users need to be, and will be taken in to account. HCC will arrange the detailed design of the works at the junction.

1b. I am happy to carry out a letter drop to the residents of Bulford Road between Watery Lane and A338. If any Parish Member wishes to help I would accept their offer. They will need to contact me to arrange a mutually convenient time. In my letter I will explain to the residents, the survey results, the reasons for the proposals, the detail of what is proposed and how it might affect them. I hasten to add this will be in addition to the Statutory process that has to be carried out. Finally I will request any comments to be sent to me and forwarded to you, so that the Parish Members can be kept informed, unless you inform me otherwise.

1c. Access to and from the fields in Watery Lane will be available from the Bulford Road end only. The proposed narrowing will not be over an existing access.

2. Thank you for confirming your support for this measure. I need to find the best location for the extent of the 40 MPH limit extension, bearing in mind the proximity of the hedge to the road along this length. To do that I have to walk the route. I also need to speak to Mr. Patey at Mott Gifford to discover what progress is being made on the review of speed limits on this route generally as I do not wish to duplicate his work. I hope to be able to do both later this month.

3. The signage alterations will form part of the work along with the necessary speed limit signage. I also propose to provide anti skid surfacing for a distance of 100m. on the southbound lane of A338 on its approach to Bulford Road.

4. I am sorry not to have been able to attend the site meeting about the cutting back of the hedge on the south side of the Bulford Road junction but will view it when I next come to the village.

5. I am copying this note to Kevin Harrington who will bear in mind your Council's thoughts on the grass cutting at this junction in his instructions to the Contractor.

Finally I note the other matters raised on a longer strategy for A338. I am copying this note to some colleagues at HCC as a start for liaison purposes.

Ray. Alborough.