Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 6th October 2008 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs G Naish - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mrs J Measures

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr M Bladen

County Councillor Mrs P West

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Mr Ashley White - Test Valley Neighbourhood Warden

PCSO Eva Gunter

Mr G Measures - Village Centre Chairman.

Members of the Public - 4

Apologies : Cllr Mr G Richardson, Cllr Mrs S Turner and Borough Councillors Mr P Lashbrook

and Mrs E Charnley.

WELCOME. The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

PARISH COUNCIL VACANCY.

Mr Mark Bladen was co-opted onto the Parish Council. Mr Bladen signed the Declaration of Office form and filled in the Register of Interests Form. The Chairman welcomed Cllr Mr Bladen onto the Parish Council.

DECLARATION OF INTEREST.

Cllr Mrs Naish declared an interest in Flooding in the High Street.

Cllr Mrs Measures declared an interest in the Village Centre

Cllr Mrs Tetlow declared an interest in Footpath 5

Cllr Miss Reynolds declared an interest in Footpath 5 and the Pre School.

PRESENTATION FROM ASHLEY WHITE AND PCSO EVA GUNTER.

Ashley White reported that the Test Valley Neighbourhood Wardens was set up six years ago to tackle anti-social behaviour on the Andover Housing Estates, the scheme has now expanded to cover the rural areas. Issue covered include graffiti, drinking, smoking, Fly Tipping, dropping of litter, bad behaviour etc. The recent event organised in Shipton Bellinger was a great success and it is hoped to roll this out to other villages in the future. The cover is ‘Hot Spot’ led, this is identified by 101 and 0845 numbers.

PCSO Eva Gunter spoke about her role in the community. The PCSO’s were formed as a result of the 2002 Police Reform Act and the duties are very similar to the Neighbourhood Wardens, her role is not to arrest but to detain until the police arrive. Patrolling the village and liaising with the Youth are an important function the PCSO’s duties.

A Community Development Project is being set up in Over Wallop and if successful will be rolled out to the other villages that have problems with youth behaviour.

An additional PCSO has started on the Stockbridge Beat and will come along to a Parish Council meeting to make herself known.

Ashley and Eva answered questions from the floor on a range of issues. The Chairman thanked them for coming and for their presentation.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

HEDGE A338 - The Chairman was pleased to report that Mr C Tait will be taking out the hedge on the 20th October, Nelly and his JCB have been booked and the Clerk has contacted the MOD Land Warden to arrange temporary Traffic Lights on the A338. Fingers Crossed!

VILLAGE GREEN - Cllr Mrs P West reported that she had spoken to John Clarke at Hampshire Highways and he has confirmed that the Village Green will be re-turfed.

CRICKET NETS - The Chairman reported that the bid for funding for the Cricket Nets by the Cricket lads has been turned down. The Funding Committee meet again on the 13th October and they have requested further information so they can look again at this application :-

a. The Village Centre agreed to storing the equipment when it was not in use, the Frame work

will be permanently fixed on the Playing Field.

b. Mr Measures will reply to the letter the lads sent confirming that they have permission to

site the Cricket Nets on the Playing Field.

c. In the event of the cricket nets not being used the Parish Council will take over the

responsibility for the equipment.

Cllr Mrs West stated that if the funding was not forthcoming or there was a shortfall she may be able to help with a grant of £1000.

CYCLE PATH - The Chairman spoke about the possible obstacles that may arise on the making Footpath 1 a cycle route to Tidworth. Shipton Bellinger Parish Council, Tidworth Town Council, Hampshire and Wiltshire County Councils, the MOD and the Farmer at Home Farm will all have to be consulted and in agreement. There is no right of way through Home Farm, the footpath drops down the Bulford side of the Farm Yard.

This was discussed and it was suggested that a route along side the A338 would be better, if all agreed a pavement could be provided the other side of the hedge and through the trees to Tedworth House. The Parish Council had mixed feelings on this suggestion and felt that this route had just as many obstacles to overcome.

The Chairman suggested that before this issue is taken any further the village should be consulted as to whether they want and would use a cycle/footpath route to Tidworth. A flyer could be inserted to the Village News with a tear off reply slip. The parish Council thought this a good idea. The Chairman will ask if the shop would agree to collect the a reply slips.

 

FLOODING - The Environment Agency have cleared the river bed through the village to just past the Sewage Works. Cllr Mrs Naish reported that while the Environment Agency were in the village she had spoken to Mr Jim Ragglesworth, he has confirmed that the clearing of the river bed is the responsibility of the Riparian Owner. Cllr Mr Davies, Cllr Mrs Naish and the Chairman plan to walk the length of the river bed through the Parish making notes of its condition, concerns about the state of the river bed further down stream in Cholderton need to be addressed.

Cllr Mrs Naish reported that she has not yet got any further with the issue of Insurance for her property, despite several letters to insurers and Sir George Youngs input.

Cllr Mr Davies reported that the ground water levels in the village are lower than last year and the levels are currently dropping. Gardeners Green have had problems with flooding during the heavy rainfall in September, water was flowing from Sarum and Hedges Close into the bottom of the close and did flood a garage of one of the properties. The problem was added to by sewage flowing from drains. The relevant Authorities have all been into the village to look at the problem and some remedial work has been carried out. Measures to sort out this problem are now being looked at.

Cllr Mr Davies reported that there is a Flood Wardens Meeting on the 10th September 2008.

STANDING ORDERS - The new Guide for Standing Orders has still not been released by NALC, publication has been put back to November/December 2008. Standing Orders are on going.

PLANNING.

TVN.08/02222/FULLN - Erection of Porch to front - 6 Gardeners Green, Shipton Bellinger.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTIONS to this Planning Application.

TVN.08/01991/FULLN - Erection of single storey extension to front and side to provide

enlarged kitchen/dinner (amended description) - 5 Kilsby Flats,

Bulford Road, Shipton Bellinger.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTION to this Planning Application.

There was also an amended Planning Application for Parkhouse Motel. The Parish Council had

NO OBJECTION.

BONFIRE

The Parish Council again discussed the possibility of holding a Bonfire to raise funds for the village. It was decided that The Chairman, Cllr Mrs Naish and Cllr Mr Bowden will carry out a fact finding visit to Hurstbourne Priors in the day light to see how they run theirs. Some of the other Parish Councillors said they would attend the display in the evening on the 8th November.

CLLR MRS P WEST’S REPORT.

Cllr Mrs West reported that outline Planning Permission is being sort for another Distribution Centre on Solstice Park at Amesbury, Wiltshire. This is not as big as the Tesco Application for Andover Airfield but will add further lorry movement to the already busy A303 and surrounding roads.

Cllr Mrs West reported that the Tesco Planning Application was refused at the Planning Meeting held at the Lights in Andover. Cllr’s Mr P Lashbrook and Mrs E Charnley did a sterling job representing their Parishes views at the meeting. This Planning Application will now go to Planning Control and will be heard on the 1st December, again at a Public Meeting to be held at the Lights.

Cllr Mrs West spoke about Highway Issues including diversionary routes and Pot Hole Busters.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS.

CLLR MRS R TETLOW - Reported that the Notice Board in the High Street is in a bad state and suggested that the Parish Council look at replacing it. The Parish Council discussed their two notice boards and agreed that they were an important part of getting information across to Shipton Bellinger Residents and replacing them with more efficient ones will be looked at.

CLLR MRS J MEASURES - Spoke about Flashing Speed Signs, these are extensively used on the Isle of White. Flashing Speed signs are the talking point of many Parish Councils at the moment, there are several schemes to share these signs between the parishes to keep cost down. Shipton Bellinger Parish Council are interested in finding out more information on these schemes.

Cllr Mrs Measures reported that the W.I. would like to plant bulbs on the Village Green and asked if the Parish Council had any objections. The Parish Council thought this a wonderful idea. The Clerk will let Cllr Mrs Measures know as soon as a date for the turf to be laid has been confirmed.

CLLR MRS G NAISH - Reported that she had attended the T.V.A.P.C. Meeting. Report attached to these minutes.

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that the Army are going to carry out some hedge cutting on footpath 5 by the School. Cllr Mr T Bowden reported that the dead tree on Footpath 5 by the school has been removed.

Cllr Miss Reynolds also suggested that it may be worth contacting the Army to see if they could help with the cutting of Footpath 17, the Parish Council thought this worth a try.

CLLR MR T BOWDEN - Reported that if the Parish Council are still considering decorating the two trees at the top of Bulford Road, he will donate a Christmas Tree for the Village Green. The Parish Council thanked Cllr Mr Bowden for his offer. The Clerk hoped to have some information on Christmas Decorations for the next meeting.

CLLR MR M BLADEN - Stated that he wished to get the Tennis Courts back in use and that he will be looking at the equipment over the coming months.

Cllr Mr Bladen asked if there was any news on the proposals for Watery Lane? The Clerk reported that a letter has been received from Mr Ray Alborough from Test Valley thanking the Parish Council for their input and that further investigations will be carried out and that he will report back to the Parish Council.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC.

Mr Measures - Village Centre Chairman reported that the door to the Kitchen from the Fletcher Room has been altered from a sliding door to a hinged door. The Parish Council thought this an improvement. Mr Measures also reported that he has managed to get two new swing seats for the price of £77.

CORRESPONDENCE.

The Parish Council have received a letter from the Shipton Bellinger Pre-School regarding funding for a small conservatory to give them extra space to enhance the learning process. The Clerk will copy the letter to all the Parish Councillors and put the Pre-School on the November Meeting Agenda.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN OCTOBER 2008

Mr B Pearce Grass Cutting £115.00

S.B.V.C. Hire of Rooms £ 12.00

EJM Tree Work in Grave Yard £293.75

R Woodley Tree Work High Street £464.13

R.N. Waterman Wages £250.00

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

3RD November 2008 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

REPORT FROM CLLR MRS G NAISH - T.V.A.P.C.

 

I went to the AGM meeting on Thursday and was surprised at how many people were there. Most of the local

parish councils were represented and most seemed to attend regularly.

The main business of the evening was to elect officers, I did not get involved in this as I did not know anyone

and was not sure at that stage what was actually involved (I also listened to Ann who suggested that I sat

on my hands!!)

Ray Allborough from TV Highways and a chap from Hampshire highways were there and seemed to be

recommending two different traffic calming lights -1 don't think they had synchronised their position before

they arrived!

The other speakers were from TV Communications and were there to discuss the changes and improvements

to the Council website. They asked if there were any specific things which would be of use/interest to parish

councils. I got off my hands and asked if there could be some kind of private (for parish councils) interactive

forum or discussion site where, for example, we could ask if anyone had come across good sources of

funding for something like the cycle path we have been discussing recently. They seemed to think it was a

good idea and said they would put it forward to the development team.

There was a presentation from the chair of the Standards Committee about the function of the committee

and then some general stuff including a fairly cross man who thought that recommendations from PC's about

planning should carry more weight in planning decisions, all of which will, I am sure, be covered in the

minutes which we will be sent.

At the end of the meeting a chap called Steve Lugg introduced himself as being from the Hampshire Parish
councils assoc. He said he has loads of funding sources for cycle ways and he has since sent me some
information. He also offered to give us training.

LETTER FROM SHIPTON BELLINGER PRE- SCHOOL

Dear Ms Reynolds,

I would like to introduce myself to you and the Parish Council.

My name is Sandie Benton and I am the supervisor at Shipton Bellinger Pre-school.
We are a charity based, committee run Pre-school. We are committed to provide high
quality care and education for children primarily below s
tatutory school age.

With the Parish Council's financial support in 1995. we are very fortunate to have our new
purpose built building wi
thin the grounds of Shipton Bellinger Primary School, remaining
independen
t from them.

We have a large playroom, where the children access continuous provision to enhance the
learning process. We also have an ou
tside canopy for the children to continue their
learning in
the outside environment.

Over the last couple of years we have noticed a sharp increase in the number of children

attending our setting who have specific speech and language difficulties.

We work closely with the local speech and language therapists, and together we devise a

programme of activities to best support them with their development.

To enable us to provide the best possible learning opportunities for children with specific

needs, we need to have a quiet area to work, either on a one to one basis or small groups.

After checking with Hampshire County Council and the governors of the primary school, we
thought tha
t a small conservatory on the side of our existing building would suit our
purposes.

With this in mind we approached the "Big Lottery Fund-Awards for all". I also approached
a local builder who said he would carry out all
the groundwork and bricklaying for us at
cost, he then spoke to a colleague who said they would supply and erect the conservatory
also a
t cost.

Unfortunately we were unsuccessful with our application for funding, no specific reasons
were given other
than "more applications than money available."

We are now looking into other ways to fund our project and wondered if there was a
possibility of
the Parish Council giving us a donation toward our target. The pre-school will
be holding different fund raising events, and I have looked a
t various web addresses
rela
ting to funding and will be approaching the relevant ones.

The Pre-school is committed to providing the best possible start to all children who attend
the setting, and with your financial assistance we will be able to provide our much needed
quiet area of work.

We will continue to provide sus+ainable, high quality provision meeting all the government
requirements for the foreseeable future.