Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 1st September 2008 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Chairman

Cllr Mrs G Naish - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs J Measures

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr J Richardson

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Mr G Measures - Village Centre Chairman

Members of the Public - Mrs R Flowers, Mrs C Estlick, Mrs V Winfield and

Mrs Berry.

Apologies : Cllr Mrs S Turner, Cllr Mrs R Tetlow, County Councillor Mrs P West, Borough

Councillors Mr P Lashbrook and Mrs E Charnley, Richard T Emery and Mr Mark

Bladen.

WELCOME. The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

DECLARATION OF INTEREST.

Cllr Mrs G Naish declared an interest in Flooding in the High Street.

Cllr Mrs J Measures declared an interest in the Village Centre.

CHAIRMAN’S MOMENT.

The Chairman spoke about the item ‘Members of the Public’ on the agenda, this was moved to the beginning of the agenda on the recommendation of the Hampshire Association of Parish Councils in accordance with the guide lines on meeting procedure, this was appropriate for Shipton Bellinger Parish Council at that time and implemented by the Chairman.

However after this matter was raised at the last meeting and briefly discussed the Chairman suggested that a different approach is taken for a trial period and if successful adopted in the Parish Council Standing Orders.

The Chairman proposed that Members of the Public be asked for their opinion as items on the agenda are discussed, a time limit will be given and the ‘Members of the Public’ item be moved to the end of the meeting. The Parish Council agreed to give this a trial period and that it will be discussed again before adding to the Parish Council Standing Orders.

The Chairman reported that Mr Mark Bladen unfortunately could not make the meeting due to unexpected work commitments, but was still keen to join the Parish Council. The Chairman read out Mr Bladen’s letter asking to be considered for the vacancy.

The Parish Council all agreed to co-opt Mr Bladen at the next meeting to fill one of the vacancies. The Chairman will contact Mr Bladen.

The Chairman spoke about other possible candidates to fill the remaining vacancy and will approach them to see if they would be interested in becoming a Parish Councillor.

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Mr Measures reported that there has not been a problem with vandalism over the summer holidays and he was pleased to report that the re-turfed goal mouths had also been left to establish. Litter on the Playing Field and around the Village Centre is still a problem and is getting worse. One of the Play Area swing seats needs to be replaced, Mr Measures was shocked when he was quoted £500 and is looking at alternatives. The electricity usage is still being monitored on a daily basis.

Mr Measures was pleased to report that he had received a lot of compliments about the good condition of the Village Centre from people who turned up to the Village Clan Up event, he hoped that this may lead to extra bookings.

Mr Measures reported that since the NO SMOKING rule came in there has been a problem with users congregating outside the front door to have a cigarette and it has been noted that there has been smoking in the toilets. A new Law is to be passed early next year banning smoking in doorways, with this in mind it has been suggested that the rear of the Youth Shelter be designated for smoking.

Mr Measures reported that there has been a problem with grass cutting this year due to the wet weather. The grass is growing at a phenomenal rate and could do with cutting once a week, however extra cuts cost money. The Clerk reported that Appleshaw Parish Council have just purchased their own tractor and grass cutting equipment and their Playing Field is due by volunteers, the cost was met by grants.

Mr Measures thought that this may be the route Shipton Bellinger should take and will speak to the Clerk to get further details.

The Chairman asked Mr Measures if there was any news on the replacement fire door for the Fletcher Room? Mr Measures stated that this is still being investigated.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

HEDGE A338 - The Parish Council were disappointed that the hedge has still not been removed despite all their efforts to get this matter resolved. Further contact with Mr Tait will be made. The Parish Council discussed the growth of the hedge and the grass which is now severely restricting visibility along the A338 when leaving the Bulford Road Junction.

This has been reported to Cllr Mr Lashbrook to see if he can get things moving on the road safety aspect. It was suggested that the MOD at West Down Camp be contacted to see if they could help get this matter move forward.

YOUTH MEETING - The Chairman reported that the second Youth meeting in Shipton Bellinger took place on the 12th August 2008. The Lads who were interested in playing Cricket have done their homework and produced prices for Practice Nets, Astroturf and a small amount of equipment to be made available for those who do not have their own. With the help of Richard Watson from Hampshire County Council they have applied for funding. They will also be writing to the Village Centre explaining their proposals and asking for permission to install the practice nets on the playing field.

The Chairman reported that the provision of a dedicated cycle/footpath path from Shipton Bellinger to Tidworth by upgrading the surface on Footpath 1 was discussed.

The Chairman felt that this could be a joint venture with Tidworth Town Council and that with the Parish Councils permission she will approach them. The Parish Council thought this a good idea and agreed that a joint venture would be preferable as the route crossed into Wiltshire. It was thought that it may be a good idea to inviting representatives from Tidworth Town Council to one of the Parish Council meetings to discuss this if they were in agreement.

FLOODING - Cllr Mrs Naish reported that she is having difficulty progressing the problem of house insurance for properties that were flooded. Cllr Mrs Naish has received a letter from the Chairman of the Federation of Insurers stating that the whole of Shipton Bellinger is classified as at risk of flooding! Cllr Mrs Naish reported that she is pursuing the matter of just what flood defence measures were installed in Shipton High Street to help with the dispersal of water, the authorities are not forthcoming with this information.

Cllr Mrs Naish reported that the Environment Agency had informed her that the land owner is responsible for checking the river bed for debris, when this was raised with Mr H Edmonds at a recent visit to Cholderton Water he stated that he was not responsible for checking the river bed through his land. Cllr Mrs Naish is concerned that nobody down stream is checking to see if there is anything that may obstruct the flow of water in the Bourne, is this something that we as a Parish Council should take upon ourselves to do, walking the river bed once or twice a year to monitor its condition?

Cllr Mr Davies stated that he will raise this matter with the Environment Agency and at the next Flood Wardens Meeting, he felt that for our own piece of mind it may not be a bad thing to walk the river bed twice a year, with the landowners permission.

CHOLDERTON WATER VISIT - The Parish Council met with Mr Henry Edmonds at Cholderton Water for a tour of the site, they were shown the preventative measures he has put in place to stop any surface road water from getting into the bore hole and were shown where the reservoir is situated. The Chairman has written to Mr Edmonds to thank him for organising the visit.

Mrs Flowers asked if the Parish Council had ever received the emergency contingency plan

From Cholderton Water in the event of water contamination? The Clerk reported that Mr Edmonds had up dated his emergency contingency plan incorporating lessons learnt from the last emergency and that yes the Parish Council have a copy on file.

PLANNING.

TVN.08/01991/FULLN - Erection of single storey extension to side and rear to provide

enlarged kitchen/dinner - 5 kilsby Flats, Bulford Road.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTIONS to this Planning Application.

Mrs C Estlick was concerned that proposed extension will take up valuable parking space for this property, the last thing that is needed is more residents cars parking on Bulford Road. This was noted.

 

TVN.08/01950/FULLN - Erection of single storey extension to existing garage and erection

of fence - The Nook, Bulford Road.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTION to this Planning Application.

TVN.08/01704/fulln - Erection of conservatory to rear - 27 Sarum Close, Shipton Bellinger.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTION to this Planning Application.

WEB SITE.

The Clerk reported that there had been a problem with the web site server and that the Parish Council Minutes page could not be accessed. Mr Tim Bancroft has rectified this and the minutes can now be viewed on the web site.

VILLAGE CLEAN-UP

The Chairman reported that the recent Village Clean-up held on the 27th August was a great success, over 50 people were in attendance and collected a large amount of rubbish from around the village. The three youths who were responsible for some of the graffiti in the village were present and carried out painting tasks on fencing. It was planned to paint the kick boards in the Play Courts, but due to a mix up with paint it was not finished, a further date to finish this is planned.

There was a lot of fly-tipping around the village, a note in the Village News and the garrison drum Beat magazine will be placed on this issue reminding people that it is an offence to fly-tip and that offenders will be prosecuted. Extra No Dog Fouling signs were put in the area of the Village Centre.

Mrs Berry asked why the graffiti on her wall was not removed as she had been informed that it would be? The Chairman said that she would look into this matter and report back to Mrs Berry, she thought it may simply be that they ran out of time as there are other areas in the village that still need to be tackled.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS.

CLLR MR T BOWDEN - Reported that one of the street lights in Hedges Close is covered in ivy and that the street light outside the garage in Salisbury Road is on all day. The Clerk will report this to the Street Lighting Department.

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that she will be attending the Police Forum Event at Lains Shooting School, Quarley with Cllr Mrs Naish and Cllr Mr Davies. A report will be given at the October meeting.

Cllr Miss Reynolds reported that she has received confirmation from the Charity Commission that they are happy with her being a Trustee of the Pre-school, which comes with the position of Chairman, and an employee. The Parish Council were happy for Cllr Miss Reynolds to be a trustee in her role as Chairman.

CLLR MRS J MEASURES - reported that Footpath 17 behind the Threadgill Way bungalows is impassable. The Clerk reported that the wet weather has hampered Mr Chris Wilkins in his footpath cutting, this path is due to be done, hopefully before the winter.

 

CLLR MR D DAVIES - Reported that he will be contacting the Environment Agency on several issues to do with the River Bourne and will keep the Parish Council informed of any issues. Water levels in the village was discussed, a recent water level check showed that the levels is 20 feet below ground.

Cllr Mr Davies informed the Parish Council that he was changing his job and that he will be an Army Welfare Officer in Tidworth, he hoped that will give him more contacts that will be of benefit to the village. The Parish Council thought this good news and wished him well in his new job.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC.

Mrs V Winfield reported that the trees at the entrance to ‘Sam’s Car Park’ are blocking the sight lines up and down Parkhouse Road when leaving the car park, residents feel that the trees should be removed.

The Parish Council believe that this Car Park belongs to Test Valley Borough Council and that they have no jurisdiction. It was suggested that residents report this matter to their Landlord, Test Way Housing. The Clerk will also report that this has been raised with the Parish Council to T.V.B.C.

CORRESPONDENCE

The Chairman reported that she has received two letters and read them to the Parish Council. One was concerning the access footpath next to Hamble House and the other concerning the broken fence on Footpath 5 in front of land adjacent to Hideaway which is accessed through Manor Close/Gilberts Green.

STANDING ORDERS.

The Parish Council had all received a copy of the Model Standing Orders sent from Central Government, and all agreed that it did not make easy reading! It was decided to try and obtain copies from other Parish Councils to use a guide, it was noted that the revised, easier to read in plain English, version has not yet been released by N.A.L.C.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN SEPTEMBER 2008

S.B.V.C. Hire of Rooms £56.00

Mr B Pearce Grass Cutting £150.00

British Telecom Telephone Calls £234.82

(6 X £33.54 to be billed to Clerks other Parishes)

R.N. Waterman Wages and Expenses £295.00

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.

6TH OCTOBER 2008 IN THE Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.