Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 3rd March 2008 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Mr P Marsh - Chairman

Cllr Mrs P Ball - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Miss A Reynolds

Cllr Mrs G Naish

Cllr Mrs J Measures

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Mr G Measures - Village Centre Chairman

County Councillor Mrs P West

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Members of the Public - 7

Apologies : Borough Councillors Mr P Lashbrook and Mrs E Charnley.

WELCOME. Cllr Mrs Ball welcomed everyone to the meeting.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC - The state of the Village Green was raised. The Clerk reported that he has spoken to Mr Clarke from Highways about the Village Green. This has been an ongoing issue in the village for nearly three years. Mr Clarke has said that a new contractor takes over on the 1st April, and an order has been placed to strip the Village Green and re-turf in early May. The mood of those present was “been here before”

DECLARATION OF INTEREST.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow registered an interest in Footpath 5

Cllr Miss Reynolds registered an interest in Footpath 5

Cllr Mrs Measures registered an interest in the Village Centre.

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Mr Measures reported that the new front porch doors have been fitted. The doors have glass panels which let in more light. Moving the doors forward has also provided more internal space and this has transformed the entrance hall. The decorating has yet to be done.

Cllr Mr P Marsh, County Councillor Mrs P West and Mr P West arrived late and gave their apologies after being stuck in the traffic as a result of the accident at Watery Lane.

Mr Measures continued and reported that he had received a letter from the Police regarding the prosecution of the graffiti offenders. Mr Measures has been thanked for reporting the vandalism and for his input. The Police hope that the perpetrators will be made to repair the damage they caused.

Test Valley Borough Council are to change the rating system for Village Halls with a new rate of relief. This may result in a charge. Mr Measures will keep the Parish Council informed as more information is made available.

Mr Measures reported that Vandalism had been virtually nil since the new CCTV has been installed. The Parish Council thought this good news.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING - A few minor alterations were made and the minutes were signed as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

TRAVEL PLAN - There has been no update from the School Travel Plan Group on the site meeting held on 12th February. Cllr Mrs West brought details of the “20 is Plenty” scheme and gave the details to the Clerk.

GARDENERS GREEN ARCH - The Clerk reported that he had contacted Susan Tovey, the Borough Solicitor regarding the Gardeners Green Arch. Susan Tovey has said she will look into the matter and get back to the Parish Council.

A338 HEDGE - The Clerk reported that he had spoken to Chris Tait on his return from holiday. Due to the time restraints on hedge cutting put in place by the Government, the window to remove the hedge has been missed until later in the year. Mr Tait has said that he will remove the section of the hedge that has been agreed later in the year and in the meantime will keep the hedge cut back as close to its present height and width as he can.

The Clerk will liaise with Chris Tait after the June Parish Council Meeting.

A338 - There was no further news to report. Unfortunately there was a bad road traffic accident at the Watery Lane Junction just before this meeting, and the emergency services were still in attendance when the meeting started at 7.30pm.

Cllr Mrs West suggested that the Parish Council invite Mr David Wilson from Test Valley Borough Council to talk about Highway issues at the AGM. The Parish Council thought this a good idea.

HEDGES CLOSE/GARDENERS GREEN JUNCTION - The Clerk reported that the Hedges Close and Gardeners Green junction is not high on the priority list for road works. There have been few reported accidents and there has not been any representation from the residents on this issue to the local authority. The Clerk suggested that all residents in Hedges Close and Gardeners Green be asked for their opinions on Give Way road markings at this junction by letter with a reply slip.

The Parish Council thought this a good idea and it was suggested that the shop be asked if they would accept reply slips.

PARISH COUNCIL VACANCY - The Parish Council vacancy will be advertised in the Village News.

PLANNING - There were no Planning Applications.

AGM 12TH MAY 2008

The Parish Council discussed possible items for the AGM. These included David Wilson from Test Valley Borough Council speaking about the A338, Footpaths, Good Neighbours and the Police.

CLLR MRS P WEST’S REPORT.

Cllr Mrs West spoke about the Hampshire County Council Budget. An increase of 4.5% has been agreed which relates to £999 for a band D property - an increase of £43 a year. A copy has been given to the Clerk who will in turn copy all the Parish Councillors.

Cllr Mrs West spoke about the increase in scams targeting the elderly in the area. Trading Standards have visited Thruxton to speak to the elderly about the Safe and Sound scheme: a two part sticker is provided, one informs the caller that the door will not be opened and the second part reminds the occupant to put on the chain and not to open the door unless the correct identification is produced by the caller.

Cllr Mrs West reported that Hampshire County Council have produced a new definitive Footpath Map, a copy of which is being sent to every Parish Council. The Parish Council thought this good news and looked forward to receiving their copy.

CLLR MR P LASHBROOK’S REPORT

Cllr Mrs West reported that the Cllr Mr P Lashbrook is liaising with the Rural Policing Unit and wishes to have a meeting in camera with the Parish Council to discuss a new initiative which will then be an agenda item at a following Parish Council meeting. Cycle, Quad and Motor bikes using the footpaths in and around the village are becoming a huge problem. Cllr Mr Lashbrook is working with the Police on this matter.

Cllr Mr Lashbrook reports that the concerns of residents in Bulford Road regarding Watery Lane becoming one-way have been taken on board.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS.

CLLR MRS G NAISH - Reported that the state of the A338 between Parkhouse Roundabout and Cholderton is very bad and felt that this needs reporting to who ever is responsible for this stretch of road. The Parish Council had raised this issue with Wiltshire County Council some time ago and were told that work would be carried out after the bridge repair in Cholderton had taken place. The Clerk will contact Wiltshire County Council again on this matter and will also speak to Cllr Mr Lashbrook.

Cllr Mrs Naish felt that some parents are not taking their parental responsibility seriously. The number of younger teenagers out on the village streets late at night causing a nuisance is of some concern. Cllr Mr Marsh stated that he was sure that many agreed with Cllr Mrs Naish, but there is not a lot the Parish Council can do except report incidents to the relevant authority. Cllr Mrs West reported that the Police in Andover have a card system to deal with youths congregating in numbers and suggested that it may be worth mentioning to Cllr Mr Lashbrook.

CLLR MRS MEASURES - Reported that the footpath sign by the church has not yet been replaced. Cllr Mr Richardson was sure that there was a footpath sign in place when he walked the path recently.

CLLR MRS P BALL - Reported that the 40MPH sign on the A338 has still not be put straight. The Clerk was asked to report this again to Highways.

Cllr Mrs Ball reported that a resident is putting ash from their fire on the footpath alongside the vicarage. Unfortunately they are not spreading the ash along the path, which helps to improve the surface, but leaving it in a mound which causes problems for walkers. Cllr Mrs Ball also stated that there have polystyrene beads tipped on this footpath.

Cllr Mrs Ball also raised the issue of rats. Recent television news reports stated that Local Authorities have stopped offering pest control due to the large numbers of rats and a long backlog of work. The Clerk was asked to get clarification from Test Valley Borough Council on this issue.

AFTER NOTE:

Test Valley Borough Council have confirmed that due to the large number of reported incidents regarding rats there is a backlog of cases needing attention. Test Valley will for the present time only carry out pest control if :-

a. There are children under 5 in the property.

b. There is a registered disabled person in the property.

c. There are over 60’s on benefit in the property.

d. There is a rat problem on open ground

House owners are advised to contact Registered Pest Control Companies if they have a problem with rats.

CLLR MR G RICHARDSON - Suggested that a note be put in the Village News stating that the culprits of the recent spate of graffiti have been caught and residents who have suffered at their hand may now wish to make a claim and should contact the Police. The Parish Council thought this a good idea.

Cllr Mr Richardson reported that he had seen a car parked right across the pavement in Parkhouse Road just up from the school. Car parking in other areas of the village was discussed especially the problems caused when an auction is being held at May and Sons.

Cllr Mr Richardson reported that he has resigned as a School Governor due to family commitments. Cllr Mr Marsh thanked him for the work he has done in his time as a School Governor and asked if any of the Councillors would consider taking on the post of School Governor. Cllr Miss Reynolds stated that she would be willing to take on the role.

CLLR MR D DAVIES - Reported that the Environment Agency have appointed Katie Jay as the new Flood Warden Co-ordinator. The debris in the river bed has been reported to the relevant authority.

CORRESPONDENCE.

Cllr Mr Marsh reported that he has received a letter from Mr G Staniforth, Chairman of Shipton Good Neighbours regarding the changes to Concessionary Travel. Mr Staniforth attended a meeting in Stockbridge Town Hall along with Ian Carr and representatives of all Good Neighbour Schemes in the Test Valley Borough Council area, and he was pleased to report that it is now proposed that capped funds will be provided for schemes such as ours, based on the number of over 60’s served by each scheme.

Mr Staniforth feels that from experience to date that the proposed capped fund for the Shipton Bellinger scheme should be adequate and he therefore does not see any need to look to the Parish Council for additional funding. Mr Staniforth thanks the Parish Council for their support and willingness to assist.

Cllr Mr Marsh read out a letter from the Lynne Dominy, Secretary to the Shipton Bellinger Horticultural Society, regarding Allotments - The letter is attached to these minutes.

The Parish Council discussed the provision of allotments and were all in favour of exploring the possibility. A plot of land has been identified, its suitability and availability will be investigated. Lynne Dominy will contact Test Valley Borough Council to ask for guidance on size of plots etc and the Clerk will contact Hampshire County Council on availability of the identified piece of land.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN MARCH 2008

SBVC Hire of Rooms £ 24.00

KJM Village Centre Doors £ 1031.00

R.N. Waterman Wages and Expenses £ 259.16

Inland Revenue Employers National Insurance Contribution £ 52.50

Audit Commission Audit of Accounts £ 158.63

T.V.B.C. Emptying of Dog Loos £ 273.12

H.C.C. Street Lighting - Energy and Maintenance £ 1296.80

CLOSE OF THE MEETING

Cllr Mr Marsh thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

7th April 2008 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.