Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 7th January 2008 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Mr P Marsh - Chairman

Cllr Mrs P Ball - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Miss A Reynolds

Cllr Mrs J Measures

Cllr Mrs G Naish

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Mr G Measures - Village Centre Chairman

Members of the Public - 4

Apologies : County Councillor Mrs P West and Borough Councillors Mr P Lashbrook and Mrs E

Charnley.

WELCOME. Cllr Mr Marsh welcomed everyone to the first meeting of 2008.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC.

The School Travel Plan and the A338 were raised. Cllr Mr Marsh stated that both items were agenda items and would be discussed later in the meeting. The Public would be given the opportunity to speak on these issues.

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Mr Measures reported that the C.C.T.V. system has been a great success so far, and was pleased to report that there have been no incidents of vandalism to the Village Centre. It was noted that unfortunately the vandalism has moved to other areas in the village.

Mr Measures spoke about the disappointing attendance for the Bar Dance held in the Village Centre, at which takings only just covered the costs. Mr Measures felt the way forward was to have a separate Entertainments Committee to organise fundraising events as younger members are needed with new ideas. Mr Measures stated that he would be putting this idea forward at the next Village Centre management meeting.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING. Cllr Mr Marsh signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

SCHOOL TRAVEL PLAN - Mrs Linda Barrett, Chairman of the School Travel Plan Working Group, reported that safe routes to school have been looked at and Footpath 5 has been identified as the most important route to school. It is a safe route for children because it keeps them off the busy High Street. A suggested alternative is to put a white line down the length of the High Street to make a designated cycle/walk way.

Making the footpath dual purpose - walk and cycle - is the best way forward. The path will need widening in places and the surface water drainage problems will have to be tackled.

A site meeting is to be held on 12th February 2008 to discuss this issue further.

External Partnerships are being looked at for help with possible funding. Tesco in Tidworth has been approached.

Cllr Mr Marsh stated that the Parish Council is100% committed to making Footpath 5 a safer route to school. Site meetings have been held with Hampshire Paths and Highways and work has been promised to tackle the muddy area between Kingfishers and Gardeners Green.

However, converting the footpath to include a cycle route does raise some problems:

1. The path is not very wide in parts and there is no land available to increase its width.

2. The cost involved in carrying out this project would be prohibitive.

3. Making a cycle way would only encourage motorbikes to use the path as a short cut to

other areas of the village.

The Parish Council was not against the idea but felt that it would be more prudent to concentrate on getting the footpath upgraded as a dedicated walkway to school. Maybe the suggestion to have a white line down the High Street would be worth pursuing as an alternative cycle route.

A lengthy discussion followed on this issue. Mrs Barrett felt that the Parish Council was being negative about making Footpath 5 dual purpose and that it was making problems rather than looking at ways to overcome them.

Cllr Mr Marsh assured Mrs Barrett that past experience has shown that some projects are not viable for one reason or another. Space for such a path is not available, costs could be high and changing the status of Footpath 5 to include a cycleway will be complicated. There is a legal aspect that will have to be taken into consideration and the village will have to be consulted, all part of a lengthy process. On the other hand upgrading the existing Footpath would be achievable, cost less and still achieve a safe route to school for the children in the village.

Mrs Barrett asked if the Parish Council would please ask Cllr Mr P Lashbrook to attend the next meeting as she wished to raise the issue of traffic calming outside the school, an issue he has said he would look into. Cllr Mr Marsh said he would ask Cllr Mr Lashbrook if he would please attend the next meeting.

GARDENERS GREEN ARCH - The brick arch between Gardeners Green and Footpath 5 has still not been removed. The Clerk was asked to report this to Cllr Mr Lashbrook.

FOOTPATH AUDIT - Cllr Mr Richardson reported that he has nearly completed the Footpath Audit. It was agreed that this will be an agenda item for the April meeting.

A338 - The Parish Council was asked if there was any news on the proposed one way system for Watery Lane. The majority of the residents in Bulford Road are against the idea.

 

Cllr Mr Marsh reported that the Parish Council was not aware of any further developments in this matter and it was thought that no further action would be taken until the issue of the Tank Crossing is resolved. Cllr Mr Marsh hoped that Cllr Mr Lashbrook would be able to give an update at the next meeting.

CLLR MRS WEST’S REPORT - The Parish Council discussed County Councillor Mrs P West’s decision not to engage in conversation at the Parish Council Meetings and to only accept and answer questions in writing. The Parish Council thought this a shame as Cllr Mrs West has always played an active part in the meetings’ discussions. It was hoped that she may reconsider her decision in the near future.

PLANNING.

TVN.07/03296/FULLN - Extension to form annex for dependant relative comprising of

lounge, bedroom, kitchen and shared utility, provision of new

pitched roof over existing bay window. - 40 Sarum Close, Shipton

Bellinger.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTIONS to this Planning Application.

TVN.07/03312/FULLN - Single storey extension with tiled roof to bring the frontage in line

with the existing rear of the building. - Southern Wood, Salisbury

Road, Shipton Bellinger.

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest being a neighbour.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTIONS to this Planning Application.

TVN.07/03321/FULLN - Use as travelling showman’s quarters including provision of living

area for siting of mobile homes, caravans and sheds, storage and

maintenance area, access road, parking and turning and installation

of two septic tanks - Thruxton Down Camp Site, Topliss Hill,

Thruxton.

Although not in the remit of Shipton Bellinger the Parish Council felt that this Planning Application will impede on the Parish in other ways and agreed to send in a letter of Objection on the grounds that it is a change of use of agricultural land and will open the surrounding area to further development.

PRECEPT.

Cllr Mrs Ball asked that before the precept was discussed the Parish Council speak about the Village Centre and the Trustees. Cllr Mrs Ball has had confirmation from the Charities Commission about who is on the Village Centre Board of Trustees. The Parish Council is not included on this. As Cllr Mrs Ball understood it, the Parish Council was a trustee of the Village Centre.

Cllr Mr Marsh stated that he had researched the Village Centre lease some time ago when the Village Centre Management Committee took over the running of it as a whole from the Parish Council. The Parish Council are Trustees of the Village Centre. It was thought that the list of trustees the Charities Commission has on record is probably the Village Centre Management Committee, which is responsible for its day-to-day running.

Cllr Mrs Ball asked Cllr Mr Marsh for confirmation on who the Trustees are as this will have consequences for Parish Councillors if the Management Committee gets into financial difficulty, a prospect that she would not relish. Cllr Mr Marsh stated that he had all the documentation at home and he would confirm the Parish Councillors’ position.

 

The Parish Council discussed the Precept for 2008/2009. The following points were raised :-

1. Cllr Mrs Ball noted that in the Village Centre Budget Sheet there is no mention of fund

raising. If the Village Centre held several fundraising events a year this would increase

income and lessen the grant requested from the Parish Council. The Village Centre is

asking for £5,500 for the next financial year.

Mr Measures stated that as he has reported, events that have been held to try and raise

funds have not been successful, and he agreed that self help fundraising is an issue that will

have to be tackled.

The Parish Council all agreed that the Village Centre grant will be set at £5,000. It was

agreed that a letter will be sent to the Village Centre Management Committee asking them

to consider reducing the amount they request from the Parish Council precept.

2. Cllr Mr Marsh proposed that the Clerk’s wages be increased to £3,000 a year and that this be reviewed every year. This was seconded by Cllr Mrs Ball. The Parish Council all agreed.

3. The Litter Collector’s wages will be increased to £1500 a year.

4. Cllr Mr Marsh ran through the figures in the budget and suggested that an increase of

£500 on last year’s precept would enable the Parish Council to carry out the running of

the village taking into account the increases discussed. This was discussed at length.

Cllr Mr Marsh proposed that the 2008/2009 Precept be set at £17,500. This was seconded by Cllr Mr D Davies. All the Parish Council agreed. The Clerk was asked to apply for a Precept of £17,500.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS.

CLLR MRS R TETLOW - Spoke about concessionary travel funding for Good Neighbours and possible problems regarding reimbursement of transport costs for the volunteers. Cllr Mrs Tetlow will keep the Parish Council informed of any developments. The transport to Tidworth and the long walk from the bus stop at Hampshire Cross to Tesco was discussed - a new bus stop is being constructed behind Tesco and this will eventually be the stop to change for the Andover bus.

The Parish Council felt that funding of the concessionary travel for Good Neighbours may be something they might have to look at in the future if current funding ceases.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow felt that some hardcore needs to put down on Footpath 5 as a temporary measure while we action from Hampshire Highways is awaited. The area of this footpath from Salisbury Road to Manor Close is also very slippery and muddy.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow reported that the kerb outside Mr Brian Boxall’s house has been dropped on the corner of the A338 and the High Street. The Parish Council had not been informed that this was to happen or why.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow reported that the Farmhouse Close sign is broken. It was thought that this was a private sign and not the responsibility of Test Valley Borough Council.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow reported that John and Mary Tidy cleared up the recent spate of Fly Tipping in the village and put it in bags by the re-cycling centre and reported its whereabouts to Test Valley Borough Council.

CLLR MRS P BALL - Reported that the 40MPH sign when entering the village from Tidworth direction has been hit by something and is skewiff. The Clerk will report this to Highways.

CLLR MRS J MEASURES - Reported that the edge of the road in the High Street is breaking up in the area of Red Villas and the new bungalows. The Clerk was asked to report this to Highways.

Cllr Mr Measures suggested that the village needed a cardboard re-cycling bin as the large amounts of cardboard that are left by people visiting the re-cycling centre is becoming a problem and looks a mess. The Parish Council agreed and asked the Clerk to investigate.

CLLR MR D DAVIES - Reported that there have been several incidents of rowdy behaviour from the youths late at night in the area of Kingfishers. Bins have been tipped over and an SEB vehicle had its windscreen broken. The Police have been informed. There was also a recent incident involving fireworks in the early hours of the morning. Several of the Parish Councillors were disturbed by these fireworks, although their precise location was a bit sketchy.

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that vehicles from the Body Repair shop are reversing down footpath 13 to access the back door of the barn and are churning it up. The area is getting quite rutted and muddy and needs to be made good. This will be reported to the Environmental Department at Test Valley Borough Council.

CLLR MRS G NAISH - Reported that there is a lot of rubbish on the A338 between the village and the Snoddington Road turning. The Clerk will report this to Test Valley Borough Council.

CORRESPONDENCE

Cllr Mr Marsh reported that the Parish Council has been informed that there is a meeting to discuss the latest proposals for the Tesco Mega-shed at Penton Mewsey Village Hall on the 16th January 2008 at 8pm.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN JANUARY 2008

Mr B Pearce Road Gully Clearing £150.00

S.B.V.C. Hire of Rooms £ 32.00

Zurich Municipal Additional Insurance Charge £ 27.72

R.N. Waterman Wages and Expenses £ 246.66

CLOSE OF THE MEETING

Cllr Mr Marsh thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

4TH February 2008 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.