Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 5th November 2007 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Mrs P Ball - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Miss A Reynolds

Cllr Mrs G Naish

Cllr Mrs J Measures

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook

Borough Councillor Mrs E Charnley

County Councillor Mrs P West

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Police - Sgt Curtis and PC Bill Williams

Mr G Measures - Village Centre Chairman

Members of the Public - Mrs C Estlick and Mrs J Tribbeck

Apologies : Cllr Mr P Marsh - Chairman.

WELCOME. Cllr Mrs P Ball welcomed everyone to the meeting.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC.

Mrs C Estlick reported there are many potholes in Bulford Road that need attention. White lines have been marked around the potholes but no work has been carried out. Mrs Estlick asked that the Parish Council please arrange for these to be repaired. The Clerk was asked to report this to Highways.

Mrs J Tribbeck reported that a group of parents have got together and are looking again at the School Travel Plan. A meeting was recently held and of the issues discussed a safer route to school, parking outside the Old School House and a “Walking Bus” (although this may not be practical in Shipton Bellinger as most children arrive by car) are points that will be looked into.

Mrs Tribbeck asked if the Parish Council would please write to Mr Atkinson the Head Teacher at the Primary School to inform him of the work that is intended to improve footpath 5. Cllr Mrs Ball stated that Cllr Mrs Tetlow and the Clerk are to report on footpaths 5’s progress later on the agenda and the Clerk was asked to write to Mr Atkinson.

Mrs Tribbeck spoke about parking outside the Old School House. The parents’ group has suggested that railings are put up to stop parking on the pavement and also for the safety of the children.

The Parish Council discussed this and did not agree with this suggestion. They felt that it would be more prudent to work with the Police and parents to discourage parking in this area. The Police putting bollards out seems to have eased the problem but further work is needed to get the message across.

 

Cllr Mrs P West suggested that the Parents’ Group contact Test Valley Borough Council about their School Green Traffic Plan and offered her assistance. Mrs Tribbeck thanked Cllr Mrs West for this information and her offer of help. Mrs Tribbeck reported that the next meeting of the parents’ group will be held on the 16th November and invited the Parish Council to send a representative. Cllr Miss Reynolds said she would attend.

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Mr Measures reported that he has spoken to the C.C.T.V. contractor and hoped that the system will be up and running soon.

Mr Measures reported that the Village Centre was one of the victims of the recent spate of vandalism in the village. The play area fence has suffered at the hands of someone with spray paint, and it will cost £100 to repaint the fence. The kickboards in the play courts have been refurbished and goal posts painted and Mr Measures was pleased to report that they are now in regular use for 5-a-side football.

Mr Measures reported that the trees and bushes along the side of the Village Centre have been cut back to give a clear view of the play area from the CCTV system. Mr Measures spoke about the hedge running along the side of the playing field. This has many ‘dens’ that are used by young people to get up to mischief. In consultation with the Police measures have been suggested to stop the dens being used.

The PAP Testing is ongoing and the recent visit by the Crime Prevention Team saw 22 bicycles postcode marked. Mr Measures spoke about the car park and wondered whether Hampshire County Council, if approached, would consider contributing to the cost of resurfacing as at some point in the future this will need to be done. The wear and tear due to the use of the car park by the school must surely be taken into consideration.

Cllr Mrs West thought that any financial contribution from Hampshire County Council was very unlikely.

DECLARATION OF INTEREST.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow declared an interest in Footpath 5.

Cllr Miss A Reynolds declared an interest in Footpath 5

Cllr Mrs Measures declared an interest in the Village Centre.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING - Cllr Mrs Ball signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

DRINKING IN THE VILLAGE - Cllr Mrs Charnley reported that she has not managed to speak to the manager at Lidl in Tidworth but on reflection thought that their policy on selling alcohol to underage people is tight. She thought that although the alcohol probably came from Lidl it was purchased legally and sold on to younger persons. The Parish Council agreed.

Cllr Mrs Ball asked Mr Measures whether he had had any joy in finding a handyman to sweep the Village Centre car park. Mr Measures reported that no-one has come forward and he thought it would be difficult to find someone who would be willing to work such short hours.

Cllr Mrs Ball and Cllr Mrs Tetlow suggested that the job be advertised in the village news or that additional duties be added to those of the Village Centre cleaner.

Mr Measures thanked the Parish Council for their concerns but asked that they please leave him to make his own decision on this issue.

WATERY LANE - Cllr Mr Lashbrook had no news to report on the proposed one way system.

AFTER SCHOOL CLUB - Cllr Mrs West reported that the After School Club has been thoroughly checked by Children’s Services, and she was pleased to report that everything is in order and that they are doing a good job. Neighbouring residents have raised issues over parking in this area, but everything is above board and has been cleared with the MOD. There has been a lot of friction and misunderstanding over this issue in the village and she hoped that a line could now be drawn under the matter.

PC Williams stated that he has also been involved in several matters over recent weeks in conjunction with the After School Club. He said that much had been started by rumours originating from someone in the room and echoed Cllr Mrs P West’s comment on drawing a line under recent events. PC Williams has put this in writing to the Parish Council.

Cllr Mrs Ball stated that the rumours had not originated from the Parish Council. The question of grants to the After School Club was raised at a previous meeting from the floor; the Parish Council had no knowledge of this matter and Cllr Mrs West had said that she would investigate. The Parish Council have made no the comments on the matter.

FOOTPATH AUDIT - The Footpath Audit is ongoing. It was noted that SEB have cut back an area of ground cover on footpath 17 to make way for maintenance work on the electricity cables. Cllr Mr Richardson raised his concerns that footpath cutting guidance may not have been followed by the contractor and spoke at great length on the matter. This was noted.

The issue of reclassifying the byways was discussed and it was suggested that new signs be put up to inform users of the permitted usage. The Clerk was asked to contact Rights of Way for guidance.

Cllr Mrs Ball reported that another article has been published in a local paper regarding Hampshire County Council cutting footpaths, this time in Longstock. This issue was also discussed at length. The Parish Clerk was asked to contact both H.C.C. and the Mod

(Landowner) to enquire about fulfilling their duties to cut footpaths.

HEDGE A338 - The Clerk reported that the hedge will be removed when Chris Tait has a gap in his work schedule so that he can install the new fencing.

WAREHOUSE DEVELOPMENTS - The proposed ASDA warehouse development at Solstice Park is with the Salisbury Planners and there was no further news to report.

Cllr Mr Lashbrook and Cllr Mrs West spoke about the proposed Tesco development at Andover Airfield. The large increase in traffic movement on the A303 and the A338, the size of the development, the provision of jobs and the adverse effect this development will have on the area was discussed.

 

The Parish Council asked the Clerk to write to the Test Valley Planners to register their objections to this development and the concerns that the proposed increase in traffic movements on the A338 and the A303 will make exiting the village difficult. This will be on top of the increases in traffic for the proposed “Super Garrison” at Tidworth.

TELEPHONE BOX - The glass in telephone box by the church has still not been repaired. This has been reported again to BT.

TREES - There was no news to report on the SEB work to the trees in the High Street.

FOOTPATH 5 - The Clerk and Cllr Mrs Tetlow met with Mr Clarke from Highways on site to discuss the area between Gardeners Green and Kingfishers. It was a productive meeting. Mr Clarke was very helpful and agreed to :-

1. Arrange for his team to dig out the surface water grid.

2. Use a specialist machine that will flush through the French drain.

3. Ask his surveyor to visit the site to work out levels and the cost to increase the level of the

footpath, a job he thought he may be able to do out of next year’s budget (April 2008). If

not he will give the Parish Council a costing to work to.

Mr Clarke could see no problem with installing another grid further up the footpath. He will ask his surveyor to look at this when he visits. However, as the proposed site for the soak away was on private land he would not be able to do this. The Parish Council will have to approach Mr Curry.

Mr Clarke also looked at several other issues with Cllr Mrs Tetlow and the Clerk and agreed to sort out the potholes by Garden House, The Old School House and dip in the Road by

House. Mr Clarke was tackled about the Village Green and admitted that he was not sure what is happening but would make every effort to sort out the problem. The Parish Council thought this good news.

A338 - Cllr Mr Bowden reported that he has obtained the Traffic Accident statistics from the Police at a cost of £29.38. A copy of this report was given to all of the Parish Councillors.

A lengthy discussion followed; points raised included :-

1. A recent survey was carried out on the traffic movement on the A338 through the village, this took place from 7am - 7pm. The results have not yet been published.

2. Cllr Mr Lashbrook reported that a reduction in the speed limit through the village is being looked at, this will also include an additional stretch to the Snoddington turning and past Watery Lane.

3. The number of vehicles using the A338 also contributes to problems exiting the village.

4. It was felt that traffic lights are needed to allow safe exit from the village on to the A338.

Cllr Mr Lashbrook stated that this can only be looked at once the speed limit has been reduced.

5. Mr Bowden is convinced that the only solution is a roundabout at the High Street junction.

6. PC Williams reported that the Police have conducted several speed check sessions and that no drivers were caught breaking the speed limit.

 

Problems exiting the village were briefly discussed. Cllr Mrs Ball asked the Clerk to put this on the Agenda for the December Meeting.

PLANNING - Nothing to report.

CLLR MRS P WEST’S REPORT.

Cllr Mrs P West spoke about the new Hampshire County Council customer contact centre called Hantsdirect. This will deal with all calls and emails from the public as part of plans to improve customer service and to manage business more efficiently.

The following numbers are now in operation :-

0845 603 5631 - Libraries

0845 603 5636 - Rights of Way

0845 603 5634 - Recycling , Waste and Planning

0845 603 5634 - Road and Transport

Calls are charged at 4p per minute.

A heated discussion followed. Cllr Mrs G Naish felt that it was disgraceful that the public had to pay per minute to contact these services when such a large proportion of the Council Tax goes to Hampshire County Council. Several members of the Parish Council agreed. Cllr Mrs West tried to explain the reasoning behind H.C.C. decision to have a call centre, one based in Hampshire and not India and asked the Parish Council “not to shoot the messenger”.

BOROUGH COUNCILLOR MRS E CHARNLEY’S REPORT

Cllr Mrs Charnley spoke about the recent problems in the village with graffiti and DPPO‘s.

Sgt Curtis reported that the Police are investigating the matter and have written to residents in the Muscott Close, Parkhouse Road and Goodwins Close area asking for assistance. Drinking in the village is another problem that is being looked at. The MOD police are working with the Hampshire Constabulary and are upping their patrols in the village.

Cllr Mr P Lashbrook wished to thank the Police for all the work they did in the village. The Parish Council agreed.

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

CLLR MISS A REYNOLDS - Reported that the glass on one of the doors on the Notice Board in the High Street had been smashed. Her daughter and a friend had cleared the broken glass up. Mr Measures reported that repair of the door is in hand.

CLLR MR G RICHARDSON - reported that there has been some vandalism carried out to the Old School House fence on footpath 5.

CLLR MRS G NAISH - Reported that she was given a form by the Community Police Support Officer to fill in when she had her windows broken with a shotgun pellet.

 

DATES FOR 2008 MEETINGS

January 7th

February 4th

March 3rd

April 7th

May 12th - AGM

June 2nd

July 7th

September 1st

October 6th

November 3rd

December 1st

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

Cllr Mrs Ball thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING.

3rd December 2007 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm