Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 3rd September 2007 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present : Cllr Mr P Marsh - Chairman

Cllr Mrs P Ball - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mrs J Measures

Cllr Miss A Reynolds

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook

County Councillor Mrs P West

Mr G Measures - Village Centre Chairman

Members of the Public - 7

WELCOME - Cllr Mr Marsh welcomed everyone to the meeting.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC.

It was brought to the Parish Council’s attention that although the river bed through the village is clear, apart from weeds, there are trees growing in the river bed at Cholderton which could cause problems for the village if water starts flowing in the Bourne. It was also pointed out that Parkhouse roundabout is very overgrown as well.

Cllr Mr Davies said that he would report these matters to the Environmental Agency.

Residents of Bulford Road asked if there was any further news on the one way system suggested for Watery Lane. Cllr Mr Marsh stated that the Parish Council had not been informed of any developments.

Cllr Mr Lashbrook stated that he could now confirm that Watery Lane will become one way and can only be used by traffic exiting the village. A thorough investigation will be carried out, traffic flow and noise measures will be taken on Bulford Road, and measures to improve both Bulford Road and the High Street junctions off the A338 will be looked at. The MOD will be paying for this as part of the improvements to the Echo Echo crossing.

Concerns were raised about the increase in the number of cars that will have to use Bulford Road as this is already a busy road and speeding is on the increase. There needs to be some thought on traffic calming if the number of cars using the road is to increase dramatically.

Cllr Mr Lashbrook assured those present that residents of Bulford Road will be consulted on this matter and letters would go to every house in the village. He agreed that some traffic calming measures may need to be implemented in Bulford Road. Temporary flashing speed signs are to be installed at key positions in the village soon and the Police are to carry out more random speed checks.

Speed of vehicles on the A338 was discussed as well as the need for the speed limit to be extended past the Bulford Road junction. Cllr Mr Lashbrook stated that with Cllr Mrs P West they are pushing for the speed limit to be extended right though the village to the county border; however this is a lengthy progress and the legal framework needed to achieve this bears a considerable cost, to which it is hoped that the MOD will contribute as a result of the work on the Echo Echo crossing.

Cllr Mr Lashbrook reported another concern: with the proposed Tesco warehouse development at Andover Airfield there will be a 15% increase in traffic along the A338. Many of these additional vehicles will be HGVs. The A303 will also become much busier. Objections to this development are strong with 96% of the Andover Area registering an objection.

Mrs J Tribbeck asked if there was any news on the MOD Track, Bunding and Tree Planting to reduce noise, and the timescale for work to start?

Cllr Mr Lashbrook reported that there is still a lot of work to be done before work starts on the track. The planning application showed extensive bunding along the track on the hill as it runs parallel to the A338. Cllr Mr Lashbrook also believes there is to be extensive planting in this area.

Cllr Mr Lashbrook reported that he had taken background noise readings before coming into the meeting and the village produced a background noise level of 51 decibels (cars driving along the streets, birds singing, children playing, dogs barking, lawnmowers etc). It is perceived that the background noise from the track will be 45 decibels so it should not be too intrusive. Members of the Public were not convinced, stating that surely the noise from vehicles using the track will be in addition to the background noise from the village!

Cllr Mr Richardson asked Cllr Mr Lashbrook whether the MOD has taken any action to find out if the track will have any effect on house prices in the area. Cllr Mr Lashbrook answered not to his knowledge.

Mrs J Tribbeck reported that the footpath from the top of Bulford Road to the Church is very overgrown with stinging nettles. This was noted and will be passed on to Mr C Wilkins the village footpath cutter. It was also reported that the horses in this field are quite frightening and prone to charge at anyone walking along this footpath. The Parish Council reported that this is the animal owner’s responsibility and a problem they should be made aware of.

POLICE REPORT

Community Beat Officer Malcolm Painter introduced himself and spoke about his role in the Stockbridge Beat, his colleague Eva Gunter and his support to the Police Beat Officers. Malcolm spoke about his duties and how he walks around the village on a regular basis. If residents have any problems please speak to him and he will try to help. The recent problems with mini-motorbikes in the village seem to have passed for the moment, and there have been no reported incidents since 8th August 2007.

Mrs J Tribbeck asked if there was anything he could do about the parking at the school as parents are parking again on the pavement and on the corner. Malcolm said he would put out the bollards again and make sure he was in the village at school home time. There is also a banner that can be hung on the school railings asking parents to keep the area clear.

The school is to re-address the School Plan to include safe access to the school grounds.

Cllr Mrs P West urged residents to ring the 101 telephone number to report any incidents. Each call is logged and used in data for policing the area. Cllr Mr G Richardson reported that to his knowledge on two occasions crimes have been reported and not logged. Cllr Mr Lashbrook was alarmed to hear this and will speak to Cllr Mr Richardson after the meeting.

Cllr Mr Richardson also reminded the Parish Council that PC Williams said at the AGM that he would come and run through the procedure for the 0845 0454545 telephone number.

Cllr Mr Lashbrook will speak to PC Williams to remind him.

DECLARATION OF INTEREST.

Cllr Mrs J Measures - Village Centre

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow - Footpath 5 and St Peters Close Access Footpath

Cllr Miss A Reynolds - Footpath 5

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Mr Measures reported that vandalism has not been a problem over the summer although there does seem to be a problem with drinking judging by the large numbers of empty bottles and cans that are picked up around the Village Centre. Mr Measures reported that one Thursday he picked up 32 beer bottles littered around the Village Centre and that there were smashed bottles all over the car park. This was reported to the Police.

The football pitches are now up to standard and Mr Measures was pleased to report that as well as the boys’ football teams there is now an adult team using Shipton Bellinger as their home ground at £35 a match. Chalky, who runs the boys’ football teams, has shown an interest in using the play courts for 5-a-side practice sessions. Before this can happen the courts will need to be cleaned and goals painted on the kickboards. Mr Measures will liaise with the Clerk on this matter.

Mr Measures reported that C.B.O. Malcolm Painter, Mrs Evans and two other volunteers have shown an interest in starting up the Youth Club again in the Village Centre. It is proposed that there will be two sessions on a Friday:: 5pm - 7pm for the younger children and 7.30pm - 10pm for the older children. Mr Measures stated that the Village Centre committee is mindful of past events that occurred on Youth Club night and will enforce strict rules that must be adhered to for the use of the centre.

The toilets have now been refurbished, with a baby changing table still to be installed. Mr Measures reported that he has received compliments from many of the visiting village centre users. The new C.C.T.V. system is being installed and should be up and running in a few weeks. Mr Measures reported that the grant application form for £1000 from Cllr Mrs P West is in hand and will be forwarded to the Parish Clerk to fill in the relevant Parish Council information.

Mr Measures spoke about the Village Centre Committee’s disappointment that the After School Club has moved to Muscott Close. The Village Centre bent over backwards to accommodate the After School Club, helping with storage, refurbishing the Pavilion Tea Room and giving reduced hiring rates. No notice was given and they were just told that that After School Club would not be returning to the Village Centre.

Cllr Mrs P West stated that she has received several complaints about the move to the Muscott Close site and will be investigating the situation thoroughly. Grant aid was given for the setting up of the After School Club in the Village Centre and conditions were attached to those grants. Cllr Mrs P West stated that she will make sure that none of those conditions have been broken. Cllr Miss A Reynolds reported that she has been approached by a resident of Parkhouse Road who is not happy about the move of the After School Club to Muscott Close.

Mr Measures reported that the Electricity Inspection for portable appliances cost the

Village Centre £400 last year. It has now come to light that the Village Centre can carry out their own testing provided that a named person is qualified. The course is £349 and Mr Measures suggested that this be split by the regular users of the Village Centre. The Parish Council were not keen to contribute as they do not use any portable appliances.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

There were some amendments made to the minutes regarding who reported and said various items. The Minutes were then signed as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

VILLAGE GREEN - The Clerk reported that he is still in negotiations with Mr Clarke of Hampshire Highways regarding the village green. Work should commence soon and it looks as though it will be turfed.

FOOTPATH 17 - Cllr Mr Marsh reported that Mr I Curry is in the process of registering the permissive footpath and that he should be able to write formally granting a right of way along the inside of his field within the next few weeks. This will give the members of the parish the right to walk along the inside of his field parallel to the double hedge. The Parish Council thought this good news.

Cllr Miss Reynolds reported that Mr Andrew Jones and his son have cleared a path wide enough to walk along footpath 17.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow reported that footpath 5 is very overgrown with nettles and they need to be cut back as school goes back after the summer holidays this week. This was discussed and it was agreed that footpath 5 needs to be strimmed on a regular basis. The Clerk will speak to Chris Wilkins and Brian Pearce.

FOOTPATH AUDIT - Cllr Mrs Ball produced questionnaires for each footpath in the Parish and asked for volunteers to walk the footpaths and make notes on their condition. Several of the Parish Councillors offered to help and were allocated footpaths. Cllr Mr G Richardson reported that the Ramblers Association are also doing an Audit of the footpaths in Hampshire and have been spotted in the village.

HEDGE A338 - The Clerk had some good news to report. Mr Curry has offered the services of one of his men and a JCB to remove the hedge. The Clerk will meet with Mr C Tait to discuss the replacement fencing and liaise with Highways and the MOD to organise closure of the road while work takes place. The only point to sort out is what is to be done with the hedge when it is taken up.

ST PETERS CLOSE - ACCESS FOOTPATH - Cllr Mrs R Tetlow spoke about the Access Path behind the houses in St Peters Close to keep the Parish Council updated on the situation.

ARMY REPRESENTATIVE - No news.

BONFIRE AND FIREWORKS - The Clerk reported that the Hurstbourne Priors Bonfire Party is to be held on November 3rd at Hurstbourne Priors House. Further details at the October Parish Council Meeting.

PLANNING.

TVN/02389/FULLN - Two storey and single storey side extensions to provide annex

comprising living room, shower room, with bedroom and shower room

over and conservatory at rear - Way Pau, Bulford Road.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTIONS to this Planning Application.

CLLR MRS P WEST’S REPORT

Cllr Mrs P West spoke about Hampshire County Council and the various issues that are ongoing.

Cllr Mrs West spoke about the proposed Tesco development at the Andover Airfield site and assured the Parish Council that everything is being done that can be to object to this proposal. There are other better suited sites all over the South East that need to be explored.

CLLR MR P LASHBROOK’S REPORT

Cllr Mr Lashbrook spoke about the importance of Neighbourhood Watch and the need for more people to come forward as co-ordinators. Residents can help the Police with intelligence to help cut down crime. A relaunch of the scheme with fresh ideas is to take place and residents should soon receive a letter through their doors.

COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS.

CLLR MR D DAVIES - Reported that the Environment Agency should be doing a sweep of the rived bed before the winter and that he will keep an eye on proceedings.

CLLR MRS J MEASURES - Reported that the telephone box by the Church has had all its glass broken again. This has been reported to BT. Cllr Mrs Measures reported that Gordon has cleaned and saddled the Millennium Bench in the graveyard, which was in quite a state.

The Parish Council thanked Mr Measures for doing this.

CLLR MR G RICHARDSON - Reported that Mrs Flowers had brought to his attention the state of the willow tree by Red Villas. The tree has grown very large and concerns have been raised about the safety of this tree in high winds.

Cllr Mr Marsh reported that other trees on the green have also been of concern due to their height and their close proximity to the electricity cables. This has been reported to Southern Electric.

Cllr Mr Richardson reported that the state of the pavement by the old peoples’ bungalows in Hedges Close is very bad and is in desperate need of repair. The Clerk was asked to report this to Testway Housing.

CLLR MRS P BALL - Reported that although not a Parish Council, she wished the councillors to be aware that a recent enquiry to TVBC Environmental Heath Department regarding an electric fence on a garden boundary fence highlighted the fact that there are no rules regarding stock electric fencing on private land with no public access. Rules do apply if there is a footpath running through private land and notices have to be displayed and certain precautions adhered to. Cllr Mrs Ball felt that the Parish Council should be aware of this issue.

CLLR MR T BOWDEN - Reported that people attending a recent event held in the Village Centre brought dogs with them. If no dogs are allowed in the Village Centre grounds this should apply to everyone. Cllr Mr Bowden asked who would do the prosecuting if people ignore the byelaw. Mr Measures spoke about the incident and had to make an exception on this occasion as the dogs were kept on leads and the owners cleaned up after them. Mr Measures stated that the Village Centre would take the matter further if someone blatantly ignored the NO DOGS rule.

CLLR MRS R TETLOW - Asked if it would be possible to have some more No Dog Fouling signs in the village. Two areas that are being constantly fouled are St Peters Close and outside the Village Centre by the Notice Board. The Clerk will contact the Test Valley Dog Warden.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow reported that Japanese Knott Weed is in the River bank in Watery Lane.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow reported that there is a pothole and a loose manhole cover on the A338 just past the back entrance to Manor Farm. The Clerk was asked to report this to Highways.

CORRESPONDENCE.

Cllr Mr T Bowden had written to the Roads Policing Management Office asking for the accident data for the stretch of the A338 through Shipton Bellinger. A letter has been received requesting a payment of £29.38 including VAT for the release of this information.

An additional letter from another Police department has also been received informing Cllr Mr Bowden that his original letter has been forwarded to the safety engineering Department at Hampshire County Council.

This was discussed and the Parish Council had no problem paying the £29.38 fee for the information. Cllr Mr Lashbrook said he would liase with Cllr Mr Bowden on this matter as he was sure that he had the information that was requested.

MR MEASURES - Reported that the Crime Prevention Team is visiting the Village Centre to carry out Post Coding to bicycles. There is a £6 charge and he asked if the Parish Council would pay it. While this was being discussed there were some background comments made which ended in Mr Measures stating that if it was a problem he would pay the £6. The matter was left unresolved at the end of a lengthy meeting.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN SEPTEMBER 2007

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

Cllr Mr Marsh thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

Monday 1st October 2007 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.