Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 4th June 2007 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present :- Cllr Mr P Marsh - Chairman

Cllr Mrs P Ball - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Miss A Reynolds

Cllr Mrs J Measures

Cllr Mr D Davies

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Cllr Mr E Grimshaw

Cllr Mr T Bowden

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Borough Councillor Mrs E Charnley

Members of the Public - 3

Apologies : Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook, County Councillor Mrs P West and

Mr G Measures Village Centre Chairman.

WELCOME. Cllr Mr Marsh welcomed everyone to the first full meeting of the new Parish Council.

PARISH COUNCIL VACANCY - The Parish Council all agreed that Mr T Bowden should be co-opted on to the Parish Council to fill one of the vacancies.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC.

Cllr Mr Marsh invited the three young people present to address the meeting. Jay, Danny and Sam stated that they had come to talk about skateboarding in the village. There is a growing number of young people taking up skateboarding, and they would like the Parish Council to consider helping them to get a facility in the village. Jay, Danny and Sam spoke about the various options that are available without providing a facility like the one in Tidworth. The young people would also be willing to take on fundraising.

The Parish Council discussed the request for a skateboarding facility, and the Clerk was asked to speak to the Parish Council insurers. Borough Councillor Mrs Charnley said that she would speak to Test Valley Borough Council to see if they can help in any way. She was sure that there are grants available for Youth projects.

Cllr Mr Marsh thanked Jay, Danny and Sam for coming and asked them to please gather any information they can on the equipment they think would be suitable and to come back at the July meeting, when their request can be discussed further. Jay, Danny and Sam thanked the Parish Council for listening and said that they would be back in July.

DECLARATION OF INTEREST.

Cllr Miss Reynolds and Cllr Mrs Tetlow registered an interest in Footpath 5.

Cllr Mrs Measures registered an interest in the Village Centre.

 

 

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Mr Measures sent his apologies as he is still recovering from a recent visit to hospital. The refurbishment of the Gents’ toilets has now been completed and the C.C.T.V. is ongoing. The Parish Council wished Gordon a speedy recovery.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING .

Cllr Mrs Ball stated that she has a problem with the wording relating to Members of the Public speaking at Parish Council meetings under the heading STATEMENT FROM THE CHAIRMAN.

Cllr Mrs Ball stated that members of the Public have the right to speak at Parish Council meetings, and while she understood the reasoning behind the statement she felt that it was important for local democracy that parishioners are encouraged to take part in discussions.

The Parish Council discussed this at length and all agreed that the members of the public will be allowed to speak for a set time at the beginning of the meeting and that the following should be added to the previous minutes:-

“Members of the Public can address the meeting at the discretion of the Chairman to express their views on items being discussed throughout the meeting.”

Cllr Mr Marsh signed the minutes of the April and May meetings as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes :-

CODE OF CONDUCT - The Clerk will provide all the Parish Councillors with the new Code of Conduct when he receives it from the Standard Board. This will be put on the Agenda for the July meeting. The Parish Council will also look at its procedures and standing orders over the coming months.

VILLAGE GREEN - No news

FOOTPATH 17 - Cllr Mr Marsh reported that he has no further news to report on Mr Curry’s offer of a permissive footpath running inside his field parallel to Footpath 17.

HEDGE A338 - The Clerk reported that the removal of the hedge at the top of Bulford Road is still ongoing. Everyone is in agreement that it should be removed but the stumbling block is who will actually do it. Cllr Mr P Lashbrook has been in contact with the MOD who had agreed to come and remove the hedge but then changed its mind, stating that it is not the MOD’s responsibility. The Clerk forwarded a copy of the Planning Application to remove the hedge, submitted by Defence Estates, to Cllr Mr Lashbrook who has contacted the MOD again.

In the meantime, Cllr Mr Lashbrook has asked Hampshire Highways to come and trim back the hedge for safety reasons as sight lines are very bad when exiting the Bulford Road junction. Hopefully there will be some news to report at the July meeting.

PLANNING - There were no new Planning Applications. It was noted that the Hideaway has been advertised for sale in the Local Paper with a double garage. No-one can remember a Planning Application for this garage. The Clerk was asked to check with Test Valley Borough Council.

 

2007 AGM

The Parish Council briefly discussed the AGM and felt that it had gone very well and had been well attended. PC Williams made a good impression and it was felt that he will be good news for the village.

SAFER ROUTE TO SCHOOL - FOOTPATH 5

The Parish Council discussed the Safe Route to School project. At a previous meeting Cllr Mrs Tetlow proposed that Footpath 5 would be ideal for this and that there were grants available from Hampshire Education Department towards costs in providing a safe route. The Parish Council all agreed that Footpath 5 was ideal for this venture, providing a safe route for parents to take their children to school away from the busy High Street.

There are several problem areas on Footpath 5 that will require expert advice on how to tackle the surface water flooding. It was agreed that a site meeting should be held to discuss options. The Clerk will invite Hampshire Paths, Hampshire Education Department and Mr Atkinson from the school to attend in order to discuss the way forward.

The Arch from Footpath 5 to Gardeners Green was discussed. Cllr Mr Lashbrook had reported some time ago that Test Valley Borough Council had agreed to take it down, but it is still in place. The Clerk was asked to liase with Cllr Mr Lashbrook on this matter.

PLAY COURTS.

Cllr Mr Marsh raised the matter of the Play Courts. Despite several attempts to get them into regular use they still stand unused. The Play Courts should be an asset to the village. Vandalism and verbal abuse from certain elements of the village youth in the past have not helped to gather any enthusiasm from the village, but we must think of something to get them back in use. The Parish Council agreed.

The Clerk suggested that the Kick Boards are removed, sanded down, re-varnished and put up for sale on ebay. They have never been used for their intended purpose and are now covered in graffiti. The money from the sale could be put into regenerating the Play Courts. The Parish Council thought this a good idea and one worth considering.

The Clerk will also ask the Parish Council insurers if skateboards could be used on the Play Courts. This would give another possible use along with tennis, five-a-side and basketball.

ARMY REPRESENTATIVE

The Parish Council discussed the need for an Army representative on the Parish Council. Liaison between the Army and the village is important and communication channels need to be kept open. Names of possible candidates were mentioned and they will be approached to see if they would be interested. The Clerk will also speak to Major Phil Gill to see if he had anyone in mind for the job.

SHIPTON BELLINGER WEBSITE.

Cllr Mr Marsh reported that it has come to light that Mr Tim Bancroft has been funding the Shipton Bellinger website running costs from his own pocket for many years. Cllr Mr Marsh felt that this was unacceptable. The website is a village asset and should be funded by the Parish Council. All agreed.

It was proposed that all of Mr Bancroft’s expenses be reimbursed and that the Parish Council take on the running costs of the website. All agreed. The Clerk will speak to Mr Bancroft on this matter so a cheque can be issued at the July Meeting.

BOROUGH COUNCILLOR MRS E CHARNLEY’S REPORT

Cllr Mrs Charnley reported that there have been concerns raised with the MOD about the amount of empty married quarters in Muscott Close. The MOD have assured Cllr Mrs Charnley that they will be occupied by the end of the summer.

Cllr Mrs Charnley reported that there has been a lot of vandalism to the empty quarters in recent weeks. A burglary took place in Parkhouse Road the previous Friday and young people have been making a nuisance of themselves throwing eggs at front doors. The Police are aware of these matters.

Cllr Mrs Charnley reported that some residents are feeling intimidated by the young people in the village and are reluctant to report incidents for fear of reprisal. Cllr Mrs Charnley wished it to be known in the village that any resident can come and report incidents to her in confidence and that she will put her name to a complaint and report it to the Police. Cllr Mrs Charnley asked if this could be included in the Parish Council’s report for the Village News. Cllr Mrs Ball suggested that Cllr Mrs Charnley write an article for the Village News as our Borough Councillor and forward it to the Editor Mr C Cox. Cllr Mrs Charnley said that she would.

AFTER NOTE : Cllr Mrs Charnley has contacted the Parish Clerk and asked that it be recorded that she will not be proceeding with the above statement until she has clarification from the Police.

Cllr Mrs Charnley reported that with Cllr Mr Lashbrook she had walked the village roads and noted all the potholes. Cllr Mr Lashbrook is seeing if Hampshire Highways will come into the village once a year and do all the work needed to repair the roads.

Cllr Mr Marsh thanked Cllr Mrs Charnley for her report.

COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS

CLLR MR E GRIMSHAW - Reported that he will be leaving the village in August and that July will be his last Parish Council Meeting. The Parish Council was sorry to hear this.

Cllr Mr Grimshaw reported that he was pleased that all the various agencies have now got their act together, and that the flood warning system is working very well. Newsletters are now published and distributed and regular water level readings are taken. Cllr Mr Grimshaw’s replacement as Village Flood Warden was discussed and Cllr Mr D Davis agreed to take on the job. The Parish Council thanked him for agreeing to become the new Village Flood Warden.

CLLR MRS R TETLOW - Reported that there is a hedge growing out into the pavement on the Salisbury Road. The Clerk will report this.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow asked why 30mph signs could not be painted on the High Street as a permanent reminder of the speed limit. The Parish Council had raised this some time ago with Highways and, as usual, funding and environmental issues were the stumbling blocks.

Cllr Mrs Tetlow asked if Footpath 17 was an RUPP. Footpath 17 is still an RUPP but has been reclassified as it is not open to mechanical vehicles on the new Ordnance Survey Maps.

CLLR MR G RICHARDSON - Spoke about the path from St Peters Close to Footpath . He wanted to know whether this is a Right of Way or just a Right of Access to the back of the properties in St Peters Close.

The Parish Council did not know, and Cllr Miss Reynolds said that she would have a look on the deeds for her house to see if it was mentioned and report back at the next meeting.

CLLR MRS P BALL - Suggested that the Parish Councillors’ jobs be discussed at the July Meeting. The Clerk was asked to put Councillors’ responsibilities on the Agenda for the July Meeting.

CLLR MRS J MEASURES - Reported that following recent reports in the National Press about Post Office closures and the recent temporary closure of the village Post Office, residents wish to know if the Parish Council will be prepared to fight to keep the Post Office open if permanent closure is announced by the Post Office.

Cllr Mr T Bowden declared an interest in the Village Shop premises.

The Parish Council all agreed that Post Office is a lifeline to many in the village and that it plays a very important role in the community. If the need arose the Parish Council would be 100% behind keeping the Post Office open.

Cllr Mrs Measures reported that an overgrown bush is obscuring the 30MPH sign on the Bulford Road. The Clerk will report this to Highways.

Cllr Mrs Measures asked who will be doing the report for the Andover Advertiser as Col Peacock has now given up the job. This will be discussed at the July Meeting.

It was reported that there is an overgrown hedge on Footpath 5 behind one of the properties in Hedges Close. The Clerk will report this to Testway Housing.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN JUNE 2007

Richard Waterman Wages and Expenses £ 249.16

Mr B Pearce Grass Cutting £ 115.00

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

Cllr Mr Marsh thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

2nd July 2007 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm