The Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council meeting held on Monday 9th January 2006 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.

Present - Cllr Mr P Marsh - Chairman

Cllr Mrs J Tribbeck - Vice Chairman

Cllr Mrs R Tetlow

Cllr Mrs D Minorczyk

Cllr Mrs J Measures

Cllr Mr E Grimshaw

Cllr Mr G Richardson

Borough Councillor Mr P Lashbrook

Richard Waterman - Parish Clerk

Mr G Measures - Village Centre Chairman

Members of the Public - 4

Apologies - Cllr Mr I Curry and Borough Councillor Mr T Southern.

WELCOME.

Cllr Mr Marsh welcomed everyone to the meeting and wished everyone a Happy New Year.

VILLAGE CENTRE.

Mr Measures reported that the Village Centre Management Committee met on 12th December, Mr Atkinson Head Teacher of Shipton Bellinger Primary School was also present.

The Village Centre Committee has agreed to give the Head Teacher a set of keys to the Village Centre so that the children can be evacuated from the school to a safe place if the need arises. Mr Atkinson has been invited to join the Village Centre Committee and has asked for time to consider this.

The Village Centre budget was discussed and has been presented to the Parish Council Chairman for discussion later in the meeting. Mr Measures spoke about the proposed plans to improve the lighting and for altering the entrance and refurbishing the toilets and presented the Parish Council with some drawings.

It is proposed that the entrance will be moved to the kitchen side and be level with the building, not recessed or built into a porch. The existing entrance porch will be blocked in and converted to a disabled toilet. The existing toilets will be altered and moved to accommodate the new entrance and the door into the hall will be re-positioned. The Parish Council was impressed with these proposals and asked Mr Measures if he had any idea of costs.

Mr Measures thought the cost would be in the region of £50,000 but had no figures to back this up at this stage. The Village Centre has reserves for this project and he hoped that grants would be available and that the village could undertake some fund raising.

Mr Measures reported that he hopes that films would start to be shown in the Village Centre from March 2006. The New Years Eve Barn Dance made a £721.33 profit, which will be shared with St Peters Church.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING - Cllr Mr Marsh signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes:-

RIVER MATTERS - Cllr Mr Grimshaw reported that Mr Neil Watson from the Environmental Agency has confirmed that he will come to the Parish Council AGM to give a presentation. The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Watson to confirm the date and time of the meeting.

FOOTPATH 5 - The Clerk hoped to have the costs for the work on footpath 5 by the next meeting.

PLAY COURTS - No further news to report.

BUS ROUTE - The Clerk reported that he has received a letter from Jane Gray at Hampshire County Council Transport Department regarding the Bus Route 63 and 64 through Muscott Close. The Wilts and Dorset Bus Company have indicated that they are not prepared to carry on using this route due to the problems with the parked cars especially on a Saturday. With this in mind they have suggested to Hampshire County Council that they stop picking up and dropping off at the Threadgill Way bus stop and only use the Muscott Close bus stop.

Jane Gray has asked for the Parish Council’s comments and has suggested that one solution would be for the Threadgill Way bus stop to be used Monday to Friday only.

The Parish Council discussed this at great length and agreed that any suggestion of not using the Threadgill Way bus stop is unacceptable as this bus stop is well used by the elderly living in Threadgill Way and the residents at the top end of Parkhouse Road. It was felt that the Bus Company and Hampshire County Council should work to resolve this problem and not cave in at the first hurdle.

The Clerk will write to Jane Gray with the Parish Council’s comments and also to Major P Gill at Tidworth to see if he can help in any way.

A338 - Cllr Mr Marsh reported that Cllr Mr Curry has spoken to the Taits and the MOD on the possibility of removing part of the hedge on the A338 between the High Street and Bulford Road junctions. There is a possibility that the hedge could be moved further back into the field to aid the sight lines Removal of the hedge altogether to be replaced by post and rail fencing was not favoured as the fields are used for horses. Cllr Mr Curry felt that all concerned were willing to help but, as in all projects, funding was a main issue.

The Parish Council was encouraged to hear this and would be open to the possibility of helping towards the funding of moving the hedge. It was felt that the moving of the hedge would be one way of making the Bulford Road junction safer but felt that an increase in the length of the speed limit through the village was also needed.

Cllr Mr Lashbrook reported that he has been working hard to get things moving on the A338 through Shipton Bellinger as accidents on this stretch of the road are getting more frequent. Highways have been made aware of the problems with speeding vehicles approaching the Bulford Road junction, sight lines and warning signs. Highways have stated that they will not make Watery Lane one-way. Cllr Mr Lashbrook hoped that some sort of traffic calming measures would be implemented sooner rather than later and that he would continue to push the authorities concerned.

 

 

Cllr Mr Marsh was encouraged that the hedge had been cut and that the Highways Department is looking at the problem but felt that the Parish Council needs to take this matter forward and suggested that a sub-committee needs to take control. This was discussed and it was agreed that Cllr Mrs Tribbeck and Cllr Mr Grimshaw with the help of Cllr Mr Lashbrook will keep the pressure on the relevant authorities.

NEIGHBOURS UNLIMITED - The letters are in the process of being delivered around the village. Replies have to be back by 31st January 2006.

CHURCH TREE - The Parish Councillors all thought the yew tree in the church yard looked magnificent with the Christmas lights.

DOG LOOS - The Parish Council discussed adding additional dog loos to the village It was decided to monitor the usage of the two dog loos before any decision was made about adding further bins. Cllr Mrs Minorczyk has mentioned dog fouling again in her article for the Village News.

PLANNING.

05/01047/FULLN - Erection of single and two storey extensions to provide garage with

bedroom and en-suite over family room, porch and arbour - 1 The

Mindens, Salisbury Road, Shipton Bellinger.

The Parish Council had NO OBJECTIONS to this planning application.

STREET LIGHTING.

The Clerk spoke about a new Private Finance Initiative Scheme for Street Lighting being looked into by Hampshire County Council. Costs in running village street lights may be reduced if the scheme is adopted. There is no concrete information available at this stage as to how the scheme would be run. Hampshire County Council is asking if Parish Councils would be interested at this stage.

The Clerk has registered the Parish Council’s name as a possibility as we have 44 street lights and these at some time will need replacing at a cost estimated at £35,000. Registering an interest at this stage is not binding and if the scheme is adopted by H.C.C. it will not start until 2007/2008.

2006/2007 PRECEPT

The Clerk produced a balance sheet showing the estimated results for the year ending 31st March 2006 and the budget forecast for the year ending 31st March 2007. Each item was discussed. It was agreed that the Clerk would receive a pay rise as from the 1st April 2006 in line with government recommendations. His yearly wage will be £2,750. It was also agreed to increase the Litter Collector’s wages to £1,250 as no pay rise had been given for two years and Mrs Roberts was doing such a good job.

Mr Measures explained the Village Centre Budget, a copy was given to the Parish Councillors, and why it had been agreed to ask the Parish Council for £5000.

The Parish Council discussed the budget at great length and it was decided that due to the increase in costs for essential services and to maintain standards the precept will be increased to £14,700 for the year 2006/2007.

COUNCILLOR MR P LASHBROOK’S REPORT.

Cllr Mr Lashbrook reported that there are to be further changes to the Police beat and that he will report back to the Parish Council when he has been notified of these changes. The movement of Thruxton race traffic through Shipton Bellinger Parish is to be reviewed. Fly Tipping is on the increase in the borough and residents are asked to be vigilant and report any one seen doing this.

COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS.

CLLR MAJOR R LUEDICKE - Reported that the new dental surgery on the corner of Station Road in Tidworth has opened for business. There will eventually be three dental practices on site and the Doctor’s surgery.

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC

Mrs R Flowers asked if there was any further news on Neighbourhood Watch as it has all gone very quiet again. The Parish Council had no news but asked the Clerk to contact Mrs Hughes to ask for a report for the next meeting.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN JANUARY 2006

S.B.V.C. Hire of Meeting Rooms £28.00

R.N. Waterman Wages/ Office Allowance/ Expenses £261.00

Mr B Pearce Grass and Hedge Cutting £45.00

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

Cllr Mr Marsh thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

6th February 2006 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7.30pm.