Parish Council Minutes: February 2003

Minutes of the Shipton Bellinger Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 3rd February 2003 in the Fletcher Room, Village Centre at 7:30pm.

Present:

WELCOME - Cllr Mrs Ball welcomed everyone to the meeting.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING - Cllr Mrs Ball signed the minutes of the previous meeting as a true record. Matters arising from those minutes

VILLAGE MAP - The Clerk reported that Jane Noble from Hampshire Paths has confirmed that the Village Map will be with the Parish Council by the end of February.

VILLAGE DESIGN STATEMENT - Cllr Mr Marsh reported that the Village Design Meeting held on January 13th went well and another is due to be held on 12th February to discuss the Draft. It is planned to hold a Public Meeting in April to present the Draft Village Design Statement.

FLOOD OFFICER'S REPORT - Cllr Mr Tidy reported that the Village is still on alert. The water in the Bourne is starting to recede but still remains high. Cllr Mr Tidy reported that the Flood Plan and the monitoring of Water Levels are on going for the time being.

H.A.P.T.C. MEETING - Cllr Mr Bancroft will be attending the H.A.P.T.C. March meeting in Kings Sombourne.

VILLAGE CENTRE MANAGEMENT MEETING - Cllr Mrs Ball reported that the Village Centre Management Meeting has not yet been held.

MILLENNIUM PILLARS - Cllr Mrs Ball has written a thank you letter to Brian Boxall thanking him for his enthusiasm and hard work he has put into the Millennium Pillars Project and what a shame that it was unable to proceed. It was suggested that that Cllr Mrs Ball wrote to the Andover Advertiser about the trials and tribulations of this project. The Parish Council thought this a good idea. Cllr Mrs Ball will present the draft article to the Parish Council at the March meeting.

PLANNING.

TVN.003421l 7 - Outline - residential development with access onto Manor Close. Gilberts Farm, Gilberts Green, Shipton Bellinger.

Cllr Mrs Ball reported that the Parish Council have received two letters and numerous telephone calls from residents against this application. The Parish Council discussed this application and the Members of the Public were invited to make comments.
The Parish Council all agreed that they would object to this Planning Application on the following grounds:

  1. The site is outside the area of the village development plan
  2. Public Footpaths.
  3. Sewage.
  4. Flooding

Please see attached sheet for details on the above points. Cllr Mrs Ball encouraged the residents of Gilberts Green, Manor Close and Wilton Terrace who wished to object to this Planning Application, to individually write to the Test Valley Planners, Petitions do not work as they are looked upon as one letter of objection. This was noted by those present.

TVN.08677 - Outline Erection of three 4 bed detached dwellings with integral garage. Land adjoining 1,2 and 3 Cosy Bungalows, Bourne Lane, Shipton Bellinger.
The Parish Council discussed this Planning Application and all agreed that they would object on the following points:

  1. The site flooded when the river burst its banks in 2002/2003
  2. The site is part of the Shipton Bellinger Flood Plain.
  3. Site is not in the Village development Plan.
  4. Development on this site is against TVBC Policy - Re Flood Measurers.
  5. Poor Access on to the A338.

SAFER ROUTE TO SCHOOL - Cllr Mrs Ball reported that there has been a further development in the scheme to make a safer route to school. The first proposals put forward were rejected by the Parish Council as unsuitable for the village, the new proposals have taken onboard the points raised, one 'Pinch Point' (Buses and Removal Lorries will be able to negotiate this with ease) is to be placed opposite the School Gate, electronic signs will be installed and a Lollipop Person will be employed. A map of the proposed scheme was shown to the Parish Councillors and is attached to the master copy of these minutes for future reference. The Parish Council felt this scheme was a vast improvement on the original and thought that it would certainly help with the problems at the School.

FLOODING

Cllr Mr Tidy reported that a second flood had occurred since the January Meeting, Hampshire County Council were quick to respond and arrived in the village to dig channels and divert the water from flooding Bulford Road, thus leaving a dry route in and out of the village. Water was diverted into Watery Lane and then into the River Bourne. It is hoped that these measurers can be made permanent in the future.

Cllr Mr Tidy stated that a new Bore Hole is to be dug in Shipton Bellinger, the present Bore Hole has been under water for some time and readings have not been possible. Shipton Bellinger is to be part of a pilot scheme which will enable Cllr Mr Tidy to receive readings from the Bore Hole via his mobile telephone.

Cllr Mrs Ball reported that she has written to Southern Electricity thanking them for the hard work they did in keeping the power on in the village during the floods. Both Sir George Young and the Mayor of Andover have visited the village to view the problems caused by the flooding. Cllr Mrs Ball wished to thank Borough Councillors Mr P Lashbrook and Mr T Southern for their hard work during the crisis. It has been suggested that Tidworth, Shipton Bellinger and Cholderton should work together on Flood prevention as any work carried out up stream effects the villages down stream. The Parish Council thought this a good idea.

Cllr Mrs Ball reported that a letter has been received from Neil Watson, Team Leader Flood Defence Strategic Planning. Improvements and Flood Warning regarding the Flooding in Shipton Bellinger (Copy of this letter is attached to theses minutes). The Parish Council thought this good news.

Cllr Mrs Ball spoke about Footpath No5, this footpath has been a lifeline to many living in the High Street during the flooding. Due to the excessive use and the nature of the weather it has become a mud bath, it is hoped that this footpath can be tarmac'd to provide a dry route, this is being looked into at the moment and quotes are being obtained by Hampshire County Council and a package of grants available is also being looked into..

Cllr Mrs Ball and the Clerk have looked at the Budget for 2003/2004 and with careful management the Parish Council should be able to raise approximately 3500 for projects relating to the Flooding. Cllr Mrs Ball suggested that a Flood Action Committee is set up from residents in the High Street. The Parish Council thought this a good idea.

BMX TRACK

Cllr Mrs Ball gave a brief history of the Parish Councils involvement with the proposed BMX Track and the difficulties in getting the site cleared. Funds are available amounting to 2500 (~2000 from the Old Youth Club and 500 from the Parish Council). Cllr Mrs Ball stated that there has been some confusion over the nature of the project, the initial proposals from the youth of the village was for a BMX Track and even though the Skateboarding was looked at, BMX has been the end goal. Cllr Mrs White confirmed this as it was her son who made the initial presentation to the Parish Council, the Parish Council agreed.

Cllr Mrs Ball asked the youth present what they wished for Skateboard or BMX. Those present asked for a BMX Track, it was pointed out that other youth in the village wanted a Skateboard Track, but were not present at the meeting.

Cllr Mrs Ball asked Jamie Patterson, Darren and David Catterway for their views on the project, they stated that many of the older youth are into BMX and that a large number of the youth are getting new BMX Bikes. Cllr Mrs Ball thanked them for their comments and also wished to take the opportunity to thank the three of them for their help in retrieving a Green Wheely Bin from the River Bourne during the flooding.

The Parish Clerk reported that Grant Aid is available from Test Valley Borough Council in the form of a Capital Grant, 50/50 funding to the Parish Council. However Test Valley have agreed to a 75% cost of the grant aid to assist with Skateboard/BMX Tracks.

Cllr Mrs Ball invited the members of the Public to speak on this matter. Stacey Harris offered to hand out a questionnaire to the youth on the school bus to get a true figure of what the Youth wanted. Sylvia Marchment from Hampshire Youth Services stated that she has been in the village and spoken to the youth, an equal split on Skateboard and BMX was recorded.

Mr Cavanagh spoke about the need to do something for the youth in the village, vandalism has become a major problem as the youth have nothing to do, some parishioners have felt the need to do something and have formed the Shipton Youth Project. A lot of research has been done by the group and they wish to take the project further.

A heated discussion on what facility should be provided took place, Cllr Mrs Tetlow felt that the discussion was going in circles and proposed that the Parish Council take a vote on either a BMX Track or Skateboard Park, this was seconded by Cllr Mrs F Wilson. Cllr Mrs Ball chaired the vote and the Parish Council all agreed that the original plan to provide a BMX Track would be upheld, it was also agreed that all parties concerned should work together to get this project up and running.

Cllr Mr T Bancroft will oversee the project from the Parish Council side and will liaise with the Youth Team, Cllr Mrs White will also continue to help with the project. The Clerk will apply for the grant aid from Test Valley Borough Council.

CLLR MR LASHBROOK'S REPORT

Cllr Mr Lashbrook reported that there were problems with the initial contact with Test Valley at the start of the Flooding Emergency, this is being looked at and will be rectified.

COUNCILLOR'S REPORTS

CLLR MR S HITCHCOCK - Reported that the Village Notice Board by the shop is in a poor state of repair. The Clerk was asked to contact Test Valley Community Services to enquire if the Village Notice Board Scheme is still available.

CLLR MR T BANCROFT - Reported that there have been vandalism problems with Street Light Nol at Kingfishers. This has been reported to Hampshire County Street Lighting and has been repaired. The Street Name Signs have not yet been reinstated.

CLLR MRS R TETLOW - Reported that it has been suggested that Watery Lane is made a one way road. This will be discussed at the March meeting. Cllr Mrs Tetlow also noted that the Parish Council have not received a report from the School Governor Representative. Cllr Mrs Ball stated that she will look into this.

CLLR MRS WHITE - Enquired what will happen to the money raised for the Millennium Pillars now that they are not going to be built? Cllr Mrs Ball understood that all donations will be returned.

CLLR MRS BALL - Asked the Parish Councillors if anyone would take on the organisation of the 2003 Village Clean-Up? No one offered to take on the job, Cllr Mrs Ball stated that there would not be a Village Clean-Up this year.

CHEQUES ISSUED IN FEBRUARY 2003

CLOSE OF THE MEETING.

Cllr Mrs Ball thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

OUTSTANDING ITEMS

  1. BMX Track
  2. Village Design Statement
  3. Flooding
  4. Noticeboard
  5. Village Map
  6. School Safety Scheme

To January  To Noticeboard  To March

To January * To Noticeboard * To March


Web Space provided by Hampshire County Council

Web page built at Dragonshome for Shipton Bellinger. All enquiries via the contact page.

Page Last Updated: 14th April 2003